Chapter Three

'See! I told you it you would look marvellous my dear.' Cassandra gushed as she sipped at her wine, causing her golden bracelets to jangle lightly. 'The red certainly looks best.'

Esme twirled in the red dress, admiring its seams, patterns and shape. The length went well with her long pale legs, the shade brought out the distinct milky colour of her skin and made her short midnight hair shine. The lightness of the material didn't make her feel too much like a board either. It flowed into her curves when she moved, revealing her femininity with ease. For once she didn't feel gangly or looked sickly. She actually felt attractive.

'With velvet gloves and heeled shoes, this will work wonderfully for the ball. Dark make-up will bring out your eyes as well; those beautiful honey eyes of your mother.' Cassandra praised. 'You have a shawl that will work with it as well. Your black one. That will keep you warm during the evening.'

Esme glowed. She loved the dress and felt good in it for once. Confident.

'Thank you Cassandra.'

Cassandra waved her hand, tossing aside Esme's gratitude as a young blond woman came to stand by the door. Esme recognised her instantly. Ms Penelope had a pretty face and never once had Esme seen her wearing anything else but her uniform. She was a hard worker, efficient and always stepped in to take care of Esme whenever Cassandra couldn't. She was like an older sister to her in a way and filled the void left behind by Esme's childhood governess but, just like Jameson, Esme couldn't consider her a true friend. The barrier of class and employment kept that from happening.

'Grand Wizard, your bath is ready.'

Cassandra grinned. 'It is? Wonderful Ms Penelope.'

'The dining room is cleared and your study is organised. Is there anything else? Samuel will be waiting for dinner now.'

'That's all for today.'

'Esme?'

Esme smiled softly and shook her head. 'I'm fine.'

'Then I'll see you both tomorrow morning for breakfast.' Ms Penelope bowed lightly then paused before she left. 'The dress suits you, Ms Esme. Will you be wearing it to the Ashworth's summer ball?'

The proud blush on Esme's face grew stronger while she tried to fight the smile trying to come to her face. 'Yes.'

'It's a good choice.' Ms Penelope said brightly. 'I'll see you tomorrow Ms Esme. Grand Wizard.' She bowed lightly then parted from them in a rustle of skirts. Cassandra waited for the door to close, signalling Ms Penelope's departure, before she rose elegantly.

'I shall bathe then. I may be a while but do disturb me if that blasted phone rings.' Esme promised she would and set to work stripping as carefully as possible but Cassandra didn't leave quite yet. 'Oh, and I was thinking of taking some time off during the summer. We could go somewhere far. Maybe the Jagged Isles or the Greendales. I've been itching for some freedom and travelling. How does that sound?'

Esme was glowing instantly and now losing the battle against the massive grin constantly trying to take over her mouth. Excitement was bubbling in her chest, the type that made her want to jump up and down or dance with joy; a very unsophisticated manner to show happiness so she coughed lightly to try shake the urge.

The last time she'd travelled was when she was seven, just before Cassandra was elevated to the position of Grand Wizard. It had been a thrilling adventure on steam trains and zepplins, travelling all the way up to the Hornfels, one of the Conjoined Kingdoms of the north. It had been an amazing adventure. She recalled watching the world go by, the stink of steam and coal, the adventures she had beside Cassandra, Ms Penelope and Cassandra's old lover Logan Lothgow. That journey had settled Esme, helped her move on from her parents sudden deaths. It had been wonderful. She had dreamed of doing something like that again, often nagging Cassandra when she was younger, but her duties meant she couldn't be gone for long. She had to stay about to attend meetings, balls, events and watch over her Tower and Wizards and keep everything functioning.