Chapter Fifty-Seven

Esme was quite content, listening to the world drift in from the large windows and feeling the breeze brush over her face. She felt relaxed for the first time in weeks. She was safe and with her uncle and, while she was separated from Fox for the time being, she intended to return to Lakeside, buy a home and find him again.

But Esme's contentedness was disturbed when something rattled across the floor. She snapped open her eyes and sat up. A bowl was rolling across the floor, tossing fruit aside in its path.

Esme furrowed her brow and stood, hurrying to snatch up the rolling apples and oranges, until Absolon whistled in warning. He had attached himself to her head and rumbled angrily.

'Absolon?' Esme called out curiously and glanced about the room.

Nothing was out of the ordinary, apart from the rolling fruit.

'Absolon, no one can get up here. We are high up and you have to have access to get through the doors both with standard and magical keys.' Esme told him, but partly to reassure herself.

Surely she was safe all the way up here?

'You can pass it if you have acceptance from the Council, however.'

Esme stiffened. She recognised that voice. It was one she had heard and trusted once. One that often brought her happiness. Now all she felt was dread and fear.

Esme stood up sharply, snatching at the lamp beside her and tossing the fruit aside. It bounced around, bruising itself badly, before it came to a stop by a pointed shoe.

Suellen Denver stood by the balcony door. She was dressed as flamboyantly as always; red dress, hair and make up perfectly done. Her long red nails shone brightly as she moved the cigarette to her mouth and inhaled.

'How did you get up here?' Esme demanded, waving the heavy-set lamp threateningly.

'I told you, Esme. I was allowed up. The Council gave me all keys to enter the Granite Tower.'

'But the Council doesn't have the right to!' She snapped, a mix of outrage and fear staining her tone. 'This is my uncle's home! He wouldn't have let you inside it?'

Denver smiled softly. 'No, he wouldn't, he's a stubborn old goat, but the Council did give me access. I'm not lying about that.'

'How?'

Denver didn't respond to the question and instead steered the subject away. 'Now, Esme, you've caused me quite a few problems. I had hoped I could get this over with swiftly to not prolong your suffering, I do like you after all, but that was your own doing.' She tutted. 'Sodden! Come out now.'

Esme's stomach dropped as Sodden suddenly became visible behind her, his blind eyes staring at nothing.

'Sodden managed to follow you, despite you running circles around him and trying to shake him.' Denver said with faint praise. 'For a girl who is abysmal with magic and armed with only a thief, you did very well. It makes me wonder how you did it.' Her eyes grew hard. 'Summoning Spirits, having such a loyal Sprite. It makes me wonder. Do you have whistles on you?'

Instinctively, Esme's hand snatched to her throat to the whistles dangling there. Her eyes burned with hate and rage.

'You're not getting them.'

Denver laughed lightly. 'So you do! Sodden was right after all.' She held out her hand, turning her soft palm upwards. 'Now, hand them over. I want to look at them.'

Esme shrunk away as fear began to nibble at her heels. She wished Lithgow would come through that door to see the danger she was in, but he didn't. She wished Fox was by her side, coming up with a plan and ready to protect her, but he wasn't. She was on her own and the whistle of a god was going to wind up in Suellen Denver's hands.