Chapter Fifty-Five

Fox helped with the removal of the equipment until his arms went numb. There was just so much stuff to take apart, pack up, remove and hidden compartments to empty. He'd glance at Dupont to check if she was okay but all he could see was a lump in the corner, covered by thin blankets. At some point, the lump shrunk, indicating the curse was active again. What worried him though was that it happened before dusk. It made his stomach twist with worry. The curse was eating her up earlier and earlier now.

He tried to think nothing of it and focus on helping his colleagues as much as he could until someone yelped.

He glanced across the room and instantly spotted a fox curled up in the corner; back arched, ears flat and teeth bared. At first he thought a wild fox had somehow got inside until he recognised the preened fur and patterning and how Absolon floated close to it, looking confused and lost. It was Dupont.

Fox walked hurriedly across the room. 'What happened? Did you hurt her?'

The man scowled and continued rubbing his wounded ankle. 'Hell no! The fox just bit me.'

Fox's stomach sunk a little. He stepped forward cautiously and Dupont snapped her jaws. His stomach dropped further in dread.

'Dupont. What's got you upset?' He asked as he continued going forward.

But he knew his words were falling on deaf ears. The eyes, they were savage. Wild. Inhuman. Dupont wasn't awake. She wasn't there. Only a wild fox snarled before him.

At first he felt a swell of panic. Never before had Dupont lost herself to the curse but she had claimed that had been the intention. If she had the mind of a wild animal, truth and memory changes were easier. That curse Denver had placed was repairing itself, turning Dupont into nothing more than fox. A mix of fear and anger took him until he breathed evenly and told himself to banish it. Being emotional wasn't going to help her now.

'Someone get me a cage or somethin'.' Fox demanded.

At first no one moved until he barked it again. He had to contain her. There was too much risk she'd hurt someone or herself.

He kept his eyes fixated on her scrunched up maw and sharp teeth, snatching up a spare coat to smother her with it. But, as he drew close, she made a break for it. She darted out of the corner and scurried along the wall, nearly speeding past Fox and towards the stairs. Fox however launched himself at Dupont, barrelling into her and slamming himself against the wall hard.

She wriggled madly, grunting and wailing. She was strong and her barely kept a hold of her as she squirmed, trying to free herself from his grasp.

'Dupont! Dupont, wake up you idiot!' Fox snapped.

That didn't help soothe the mad vixen but instead encouraged her to bite him. She squirmed around and her teeth sunk into his forearm, tearing through flesh and cloth. He winced at the searing pain that exploded and the firm tightening sensation of Dupont's jaws. She didn't let go, just gripped tighter with her ears flat again her head and tried wrenching his arm back and forth. He could feel her shivering in fear.

Trying his best to ignore the pain, Fox held her tightly, murmuring softly in the hopes to bring her back. By the time the cage had arrived, there was no need for it. She had slowly loosened her drip and let go to stare at him, her eyes big with fear and shame.

Dupont was back.

He smiled in relief and petted her soft head. 'You're back.'

She whined softly and glanced at his wound. Blood was dribbling from several deep holes and grazes. It didn't look nice.