Chapter Fifty-Three

Fox found getting through the tunnel tougher than he thought. He was used to the dark, he worked in it regularly for goodness sake, but the darkness here was thick, swallowing up anything it could. No moonlight or stars lit his way and the oil candles didn't do much to stave it off. At least Alan knew where he was going and it made stumbling through the dark a little more bearable.

But it was Dupont who was making it worse. Her hand was clasped in his, small and soft, and he oddly couldn't help but fixate on it. Despite her huge size, her hand was tiny and fit within his with ease. He found himself letting his thumb stroke the grooves of her knuckles and readjusting his hand to feel her fingers. It was weird. When he first met her, he didn't see her as a woman, just a nuisance. Now, he wasn't so sure.

He chose to think about what needed to be done once they reached Badger's to keep his mind off of Dupont and her increasing femininity. He knew he needed to see if there were any updates from Doe, Elenore and Warbler but the first priority would be to send out a very hasty apology to Bull. He knew the poor woman was probably beside herself with worry and now probably had a few too many White Wizards and police sniffing around; all stirred up like an angry beehive. He also needed to see what Badger was prepared to do for Dupont and what information he had about the city. Fox wasn't going to just waltz up to the Granite Tower and dump Dupont on the doorstep. He needed to know what and who was safe. Fox knew however they were very much ahead of schedule though and he hoped Badger was ready to receive them.

'Are we near the end, Fox?' Dupont asked in a small voice behind him.

Fox glanced over his shoulder, noting how she was curling into herself and how her hand gripped his tightly. Fox really didn't blame her fear of this darkness. It was the thickest he'd ever experienced and unsettled even himself. The only one who didn't seem to care was Absolon, who had attached himself to Dupont's head and drifted through the air like a content balloon.

'Don't know.'

'Oh.'

'I'm here though.' He pointed out, squeezing her hand in comfort. He didn't know why he did that but he did anyway.

It appeared to settle her at least. She smiled lightly and kept quiet after that, keeping her eyes to the floor with a pink shade on her face. It made Fox sigh inwardly in confusion. Since she'd got him out of trouble and he woke in Frangag's enormous hand, aching and bloody, she'd be a little weird. More attentive with a bright expression on her face that he couldn't explain. Yes she was still short and scowly but something had definitely changed. She wasn't so aggressive, defensive and angry. Fox just didn't get why. He chose to ignore it and focus on the tunnel instead when a jutting rock nearly tossed him, face first, to the floor. He didn't want to gain anymore bruises than he already had.

Before long they finally reached the end of the tunnel and a large door was pushed open by Alan. He gestured for them to enter before locking the door behind them and returning the way he had come.

Dupont and Fox now stood within a musty basement. It was bland looking, much like Doe's, with equipment, files and some basic tatty chairs lying about. It took Fox a few seconds to realise he didn't need to be holding Dupont's hand anymore and he dropped it hurriedly. He flexed his hand, trying to get rid of the ghost of Dupont's hand still entwined with his fingers.

'Fox and Vixen, welcome.' A craggy voice echoed.

A man was coming down the stairs; his face weathered with wrinkles and his hair greyed. Despite his age, he was well-built with a thick layer of muscle covering him and wore the apron of a blacksmith. Fox assumed this was Badger.

'You're early.' He said as he came to loom before them. Well, more loom before Fox. Dupont nearly matched in height. 'And apparently roughed up.'

'Had a problem back at Bull's.'