Chapter Forty-Eight

Esme stood on the steps of Bull's house, watching the stables and the horses that roamed. She clutched at Absolon, crushing him to her chest for comfort. Her heart still hammered painfully and her face was still vibrantly red. Her whole being shook and her stomach was so disturbed that she felt like she wanted to be sick.

Pulling Absolon away, she shook him lightly. He sang but no longer giggled and the glint of the eye was no longer visible in his cloud-like body. She'd done it. She'd returned the Eye to Fox. The blackmail was broken.

A mix of elation and terror filled her. She felt overjoyed she'd finally done it and possibly be able to build a more honest relationship with Fox but also terrified that Fox was now free. Was he going to run off? Was he going to abandon her? She didn't know.

'I need to plan, Absolon. If Fox leaves me now, where do I go? How do I get to the Granite Tower?'

Absolon blinked slowly and whined in confusion. He didn't know.

Esme sighed then froze when the door opened roughly and Bull appeared.

'There you are, Vixen. What're you doing out here?'

'Thinking.' Esme said honestly yet vaguely. 'Where is Fox?'

'Down below, reading the several relayed messages from Doe and a woman called Elenore and replying.'

Elenore. The blonde whore. Esme hadn't thought of her in a long time and her beautiful face brought the sudden question; what would happen to Esme and Fox after the Granite Tower? If she survived, the curse removed and Denver thrown in prison for her aunt's murder, would she and Fox never see each other again? Would they just go their separate ways and return to their very different lives?

The thought weirdly made her heart ache and very quickly she decided she didn't like that thought.

It's why I returned the Eye, she reminded herself. If she formed a true bond with him, they would want to see each other beyond this. She didn't have to have her heart broken and return to her high-life filled with fake smiles and fake friends.

Heartbroken. A broken heart. She flushed. Why would she be heartbroken if she never saw Fox again? He was a thief, a rough well-intentioned one, yes, but a thief. She shouldn't feel so miserable at the concept of never seeing him again, and yet she did. It filled her with panic and pain. She wanted to keep seeing him after all this. She wanted him in her life. She wanted to see his stupid smile and bright eyes forever, to be close to him, to kiss...

'Come in. Could do with help. No idea what foods you two like.' Bull said loudly, barrelling through Esme's emotional turmoil and completely oblivious to Esme's burning face and horrified eyes.

Esme jumped at the opportunity Bull gave her. She needed to keep her hands and head busy. All she kept thinking about was Fox; almost like he was consuming her.

With Absolon drifting after her, Esme entered back into the house and was taken deeper inside. Behind a simple door was an expansive kitchen, although a little less pristine and glamorous. That was her aunt though; glamour incarnate, although it was Ms Penelope, their beloved servant, who kept everything unnaturally clean.

Bull headed to the fridge and began rummaging around. It was then that Esme hesitated as she realised the kitchen was empty of any kind of cook. It was strange. She had assumed that Bull had servants due to how much money she had.

'Do you not have someone to cook for you?'

Bull glanced up. 'No. I do it myself. I have a cleaner though. Juggling Fencing and my stables and keeping this place presentable is bloody hard.' She pulled out a few fresh meats and vegetables. 'Now, what do you like? I can make stew, braise salmon, cook up some steaks.'