Chapter Twenty-Eight

Fox lounged about on the luxurious red sofa beneath Warbler's clinic. His head was flung back so he could stare at the ceiling, which stood out with its plain demeanour amongst the rich furniture.

Fox was bored. Incredibly bored. He'd spoken to Elenore, who'd told him to stay put as she only had half the picture of routes from Alton. All she knew was that the routes going anywhere near the massive city of Havern were definitely out of bounds.

'Like I didn't know that already.' He had muttered to himself at Elenore's unhelpful statement.

He tapped his foot and rubbed his hair. The boredom he felt was tinged with impatience and anxiety. To help himself, he needed to scout, to find out what routes were unavailable and figure out how the hell he was going to put some distance between Dupont and Havern's College. He also had Sodden to worry about. Their stalker was still out Warbler's clinic, preventing Fox from leaving, which made his boredom and annoyance even worse. Yes, he was safe in the clinic but the moment he left it, Sodden was going to sniff him out quickly and follow him back to Dupont. He was trapped.

Fox groaned and rubbed his hair harder. How does he get out? How was he going to scout without Sodden trailing after him? How was he going to return to Dupont without putting her in danger? He had no answers and it frustrated him to no end.

Just as he was ready to tip his hair out, heavy footsteps thudded down the stairs. Fox instinctively froze for a second, wondering who on earth was in Warbler's hidden room, then realised he was being paranoid when Warbler himself appeared.

'Bored yet?'

Fox scowled. Warbler seemed to be enjoying Fox's predicament and how it was driving him round the bend.

Warbler came to sit opposite Fox, easing his massive body into the velvet chair. 'I have some news.' Fox stared, waiting. 'Sodden is currently leaving.'

Fox furrowed his brow. 'How?'

'Police. I told them a blind man appears very lost and has been loitering outside my clinic for two hours. They are currently removing him and trying to help him find his lost 'friend''.

Fox sat up quickly. 'So he's gone?'

'Currently leaving, yes. Give him ten minutes though just to be sure then you can slip out.'

'Thanks.' Fox grumbled.

Warbler laughed. 'I also have more news. I think I know a route for you. I'll check it thoroughly today but it shoulder clear sailing to Myrgate. You know where that is?' Fox shook his head. 'A large town few miles from here and the next safe zone for you. Lots of back-country and mountain roads leading to it, ones that aren't used often. Travel through those and you shouldn't be found by the White Wizards.' Warbler grinned. 'I won't know for a while yet. Checking in with Shire. He'll know if it's safe.'

Fox bobbed his head, his spirits raising a little at the good news Warbler had brought him. He knew Warbler wouldn't let him down.

Warbler slapped his thigh and rose rapidly. 'Right. The police should have taken that Witch-Trapper away. Time to get you going while you can.'

Fox was trailing after Warbler, eager to get out of the stuffy basement. He had been in there too long, turning him stir-crazy from boredom. Warbler took him into the hall of his clinic and nonchalantly brought him to the fire-escape. He pushed open the door and held it, letting Fox leap outside. It was late afternoon and the intense hour of heat had long passed and a gentle breeze was growing, brushing Fox's face.

'Be careful out there. Call me if you need my help.' Warbler said with an edge of seriousness. 'I don't want to fight the Witch but I will if you need me to.'