Chapter Fifty

Bull stared at the floor. Her lips were thin and her nose flaring. Despite promising to get Fox out of trouble, she was clearly very upset that it was now confirmed she had to.

'Doe warned me how bull-headed and foolish he could be. If he wasn't good at his job, she would've kicked him out long ago. Always ignoring orders and protocol, she said specifically.' Bull rubbed her mouth. 'She's definitely fond of him to keep him on.'

Esme didn't breathe a word. She just waited for Bull to formulate some kind of plan so she can hurry up and get Fox back. But what Bull said made her stomach plummet.

'I need information. I'll use my scouts to figure of where he is and the immediate danger. You're to stay put until we know more.'

'But Fox could be dead soon!' Esme blustered as her heart pounded painfully. He'd been close to death once and that had terrified her. She couldn't go through that again.

'Not knowing anything is why he's in the mess in the first place.' Bull said firmly then placed her hand on Esme's shoulder to comfort her. 'Wait. I'll find him but first you must be moved.'

'Moved?'

'I don't know who has the lad but I have to assume that this place is compromised now. Fox will talk.'

Esme flushed and her mouth frowned sharply 'No. No he would not. He'd fight for me!'

'Vixen, you of all people should know what Wizards are capable of. They don't need to torture him to get him to talk.' She stared at Vixen face, watching as the knowledge dawned on her. 'I'll get someone to take you some place safe.'

'But Fox...'

'Leave the stupid lad to me but you're top my priorities. If they find you here, the Fingers are screwed. No one can prove that we're helping you!'

Bull turned to hurry to her den, leaving Esme and Absolon alone in the hall. Esme felt the pit of her stomach fall and her head and heart began to argue. The most sensible thing to do was what Bull said. She had no idea where Fox was, what kind of trouble he was in and it was most likely going to put her right in the cross-hairs of the police. But her heart said otherwise. It ached at the idea of not doing anything and she felt the strong heavy guilt weighing down on her, like she was abandoning Fox. She couldn't do that. She glanced at the door where the dusk's beams were shining through. She didn't have long.

Esme stared up at Absolon who drifted in the air, completely unaware of the stress she was under. Absolon could guide her.

'Absolon. Can you take me to Fox?'

Absolon whirled himself up right and whistled. His eyes shone in confirmation.

Esme glanced back down the hall, wondering how angry Bull was going to be and how much danger she was going to chuck herself into. But it was Fox. Fox needed her. She wasn't going to let him down.

'Take me there.'

*

It was just as nerve-wracking as the last time she entered a town, alone and trying to save Fox's life. Back then it had been a huge maze of roads and filled to the brim with police and White Wizards. This time there were lazy lanes with the odd pottering car and beautifully dressed men and women, talking haughtily in gaggles.

Absolon took her through the lanes, not paying too much attention to the police which frustrated Esme. She'd have to duck down into a small alley or bow her head and pray the didn't notice her. It made her very relieved that Glenna and Catriona had glamour her. This whole rescue endeavour would be very difficult if she looked more like Esme Dupont and not some rugged, poor boy.