Chapter Twenty-Seven

Esme spent most of her day in Billy's grandmother's room. She had ventured out but, with Billy out and the grandmother asleep so deeply her mouth hung open and her snores rattled the windows. So, after rolling her eyes at Fox's demanding letter to stay put, as if she was stupid enough to leave the only place she could be safe in, Esme sat in the hot stuffy bedroom with only Absolon for company.

Lying flat out, trying to keep as cool as possible by wearing only her oversized shirt, Esme stared at Absolon.

He chirped and sang amongst the clumpy pillows, swaying back and forth. It got her thinking about Sodden and how to lower the chances of being found. She knew the reason why Sodden could follow Fox was only because of Absolon's essence as her own essence was so feeble. It clung to him and the longer Absolon stayed, the higher the chance Sodden was going to find them. But she couldn't get rid of the little Sprite. She didn't have the heart and the only reason she was alive right now and even on this journey was because of him. He kept her alive in that fall and guided her to Fox. There had to be another way.

Esme stiffened when she heard the apartment door shuddered open. She quickly snatched up her trousers to hall them on as someone stomped about in the next room. Just as she pulled the suspenders up over her shoulders, the door was snatched open. Billy popped his head in.

'Vic?'

Esme opened her mouth to speak then snapped it shut. She bobbed her head instead.

'Warbler sent a note along with some boxes. Said Fox sent 'em.' He tossed them onto the bed. 'Some kind of incense.'

Esme tilted her head and picked up one of the boxes. It was plain brown, no words printed upon it, and inside, as Bobby said, were several sticks of incense. They stank terribly, clogging up her small nose and making her cough daintily.

'Says here that they'll make your charge safe and that a bloke named Sodden is in town.'

Esme stomach dropped and her pale skin became clammy. The witch-trapper was already here. He was already on them. He moved so quickly and clung onto them like a rabid dog that Esme began to wonder if maybe keeping Absolon around was far riskier than she originally thought. Her stomach twisted in revulsion at the idea though. Absolon had to stay. He was the only family she had left.

Billy seemed to notice her change in demeanour and smiled. 'He a problem?'

Hesitantly, Esme nodded.

'Well Warbler sent them sticks for a reason and he won't let you get hurt.' Billy grinned. 'I know you're followin' Fox with his task. It's that he's after ain't it?'

Esme didn't particularly like lying, especially to Billy whose eyes shined so happily, but she had little choice. She nodded.

'We'll keep it safe. This chaser of yours won't cause a problem.'

Esme hoped Sodden didn't but she didn't quite understand how sticks of incense were going to do that. A new safe house seemed like a better option. Billy took the lead as Esme peered inside the strong-smelling boxes. He pulled out a stick and plonked it in the small stone handle that came with it. Grabbing a lighter that he used to fuel his cigarette habit, he used it to light the wick. Instantly the room began to stink. Mixing in with the hot air was a heady scent of lavender and sea-salt. Esme gagged.

Billy seemed to know what it was instantly. 'Recognise this. It's in Warbler's clinic. He uses it to keep magic-sniffers from finding his hideout.' Billy smiled. 'Told you Warbler is a good boss. That task you have is magic, ain't it?'

Again, Esme nodded with hesitation at needing to lie again.

'This scent will keep the magic of it hidden.'