Chapter Nine

Esme Dupont stared at the thief with as much pride as possible. She wanted him to be wary of her, to fear her even. She was a Wizard after all, she had power he didn't, but mostly she didn't want him to sense her weakness and nervousness. She had to be impressive and imposing to make sure her blackmail was heard and taken seriously. Being dressed in the baggy men's clothes she desperately begged River Oak to fetch when she woke up human didn't help her cause but it was better than being naked.

The thief was eyeing her with as much contempt as she had for him. He didn't frighten her, not even the sly gleam to his green eyes that screamed this blackmail lark was going to be difficult. He was alone while she wasn't. Esme had her Grimoire, Absolon and two Spirits who were immensely loyal. She also had his precious Eye. Everything was playing out well for her.

'Don't think I've met you.' The thief said defensively.

'You haven't.'

A thick smile came over his features and he mockingly bowed. 'Name's Fox.'

Esme didn't care to know his name but at least she had something to address him by now instead of lowlife, criminal or thief.

'Well, Fox, you stole something of mine yesterday.'

The expression on his face was genuinely confused. His brow furrowed and his nose wrinkled slightly as he tried to think of what. It made her dislike him more a little bit then. He put her through all that trouble only for him to not realise he had stolen her Grimoire.

'Absolon.' She murmured, calling her faithful sprite to her.

Absolon appeared swiftly in a puff of white mist and glittering lights. He held out her Grimoire obediently and whistled when she smiled at him happily. She quickly wiped the smile on her mouth though when she remembered Fox was watching her intently and an imposing, fearful Wizard didn't smile warmly at Sprites.

'This is what you stole from me.' Esme announced as she held out her Grimoire.

Fox's scruffy features rippled like a disturbed still pond. At first there was confusion, then realisation then wariness.

'I remember that, yeah. I didn't steal it though. It was in the river.' He gestured to River Oak who watched with malefic eyes.

'I was in that river.' Esme snapped. 'And you stole my most important and treasured item which is why I took the liberty to retrieve from your...home.' She recalled the dank, messy hole of squalor. Home wasn't really what she would call it.

Fox readjusted his hat nonchalantly, trying to play off he didn't care much for her words or was that wary of her. She noticed though. He seemed tightly sprung, as if he was ready to pounce or flee. He couldn't lie to her.

'So what? You got what you wanted.'

'And I have what you want.' She said.

'That is?'

Esme scowled. He was being deliberately obtuse and uncaring. She knew he cared about this Eye. He wouldn't have come here if he didn't.

Esme tapped Absolon's belly, watching it wobble like jelly. He giggled as the Eye was disturbed in his stomach and floated about like an aimless leaf. Esme watched Fox carefully but his face didn't shimmer with any kind of recognition. He was good. Good enough that she was beginning to doubt herself a little. Did she misunderstand when she overheard that conversation?

'You stole this Eye and I know it's important to you. You need to for a trial within your guild and it is also worth an awful lot of money.' Esme stated, not letting the impassive Fox shake her resolve. 'You need this back.'