Chapter Twenty-Nine

The sun was setting, casting orange and pink streams across the summer sky. Esme sat on the bed, practicing her spell work as she tried to ignore the small warmth in her chest. Dinner with Fox had been un-expectantly enjoyable. She watched him cook, sometimes even helping out, and he was oddly patient with her for once as she made mistakes. Soon they had made a somewhat edible dinner and sat down to eat. It was in complete silence but Esme didn't mind. She hadn't had a dinner like this in a long time. She felt no pressure to talk, not like in the grand balls Cassandra would drag her to where small talk was a must, and instead brought the same sensation of sitting at the top of the Ivory Tower, sitting beside Cassandra, relaxed and happy. If only the food tasted good, not bland and cheap.

And then Billy came home and announced Warbler needed Fox, ruining the bland meal that Esme was weirdly enjoying. Fox just up and left, armed with some incense, and didn't say goodbye to her or even so much as look at her. He just went. Instantly what bubble of happiness she felt was popped the moment the door slammed shut and she was annoyed at him. She had thought they were building some kind of bridge, a partnership, but obviously not.

You're blackmailing him, you silly woman, of course he'd wouldn't want to connect with you, she thought sharply to herself. He probably only helped her with food because she didn't know how to cook and gave him some kind of perverse sense of superiority to her. He hated her and always had done. She didn't know why that left a small sting in her chest though. It confused her.

So, after welcoming Billy home, she slunk back into her 'room'. Absolon was awake for once, drifting about and whistling to himself. She curled up on the bed as she listened to his aimless song, still feeling the sting at the thought Fox detested her. When did she start thinking of wanting to be his friend? He was a thief and crass and well below her class and only hung about her and took care of her because he had little choice. She held his future in her hands. He didn't want to be her friend and she shouldn't want him to be her friend. It was ridiculous.

To shove the bizarre thought from her head, Esme thought of what she would be doing today if Cassandra were alive. The summer ball. That was it. Esme would be there right now, dancing with a man worthy of her station and money. A man who was taller than her with blond hair and an appreciation for fine arts and food. But then the image of her ideal husband flicker. He shrunk in size, his chiselled features becoming rougher and his well-groomed hair grew wild and red. Fox.

Instantly Esme slapped her face and blushed. Why did she just think of him? She shouldn't be thinking of him at all, let alone daydreaming of dancing at a summer ball with him. Panic began to touch her chest, tightening it and causing her heart to beat awkwardly.

'Vic?' Billy called from the doorway, causing her to jump.

Her face slightly pink, Esme sat up quickly, praying he couldn't read her mind. She barely managed to remember to keep her mouth shut and let out a small 'eep' before pressing her lips together.

'I'm just goin' out.' Billy said.

She noticed he oddly couldn't quite look at her and seemed to favour the floor and when she did catch his eye, something was off. His eyes glimmered with fear yet certainty. Esme nodded and then Billy left quickly. A few steps later and the door closed. She was alone.

'That was odd.' Esme said softly to herself. Usually Billy told her why he was going out and how long he'd be and he was never that shy around. It made her gut twist a little.

She brushed it aside. Being on the run was making her overly paranoid. Fox trusted Billy enough to leave her alone with him so she had to trust Billy too. Besides, he'd given her no reason to think he'd hurt her.