Chapter Forty-One

Inside Glenna's hut was awful. The place stank of fish, raw meat and herbs. Flies fussed over a wild pig running blood into a bucket and the drying animal skins. Knots of plants and bones dangled from the ceiling, jars filled with various organs, insects and rodents lined the walls and an awful stench puffed from a large bubbling lab. The only clean area was the very back, where a large animal skin bed sat surrounded by books and single stove. It was horrendous and just what Esme had always imagined a Witch's den to look like.

Esme hung by the door, keeping her escape route available and holding Absolon, as Catriona and Glenna delved in further. Fox stayed beside her. Esme observed him but he didn't show any reaction to the decaying stink. Either he was good at not reacting or he just didn't care.

'So.' Glenna boomed as she pulled out a chair, gesturing to it. 'Sit. We'll talk about what you need of Old Glenna.'

While Fox sat in the creaky ancient chair, hobbled together from wild wood, Esme remained standing, her features glaring still. Glenna didn't seem to care however.

'Suit yourself.' She said and shuffled over to the stove to set the kettle on.

'We need Vic to be glamoured. Make her look like a boy.'

'Temporary or permanent?'

'Temporary.' Esme said swiftly. 'If your magic can even be that specific.'

Glenna turned slightly, letting her odd eyes sweep over Vic. 'Awfully haughty and stuck up for a lass lookin' for mining work, ain't you?'

Esme pressed her lips together, ignored the warning glare from Fox.

'Aye, it can be specific.' Catriona said, smiling sweetly. 'Trust us.'

Esme rolled her eyes and barely contained her snort.

'So, what do you want us to do then?' Fox said, pushing them to the point.

'I want you to get somethin' of Catriona's.' Glenna said as she brought over a grubby looking tea tray to the table and thudded it down heavily.

'And what's that.' Fox coaxed.

Glenna glanced down at Catriona who was shifting her weight nervously and tugging at the single whistle around her swan-like neck.

'Catriona's whistles.' Glenna said.

'They took all my whistles, save this one but only because it was hidden so well and its magic so weak.' Catriona explained, looking suitably upset with her soft mouth frowning miserably.

'Why?' Esme asked suspiciously.

'Because he's a Wizard. It's what Wizards do. Don't like our magic or way of things so just take our whistles.' Glenna snapped heatedly before Catriona could answer.

Esme glowered at the insult. Wizards were not like that. They wouldn't have just taken her whistles. Catriona had to have done something to warrant the detain. Her trust shrivelled even more as she stared at the beautiful face of Catriona, sad doe eyes and her wobbling lip. She hugged Absolon tighter.

'Okay, so we get the whistles. How many and where?'

'Ten of them.' Catriona said swiftly, rubbing her watering eye. 'Please get them back for me.'

Fox was instantly on his feet, striding across the room and snatching up Catriona's small hand, leaning close to her with a firm and confident expression. 'We will. Don't worry.'

Instantly something twisted in Esme's gut. Something hot and fiery; like a mix of rage and pain. Her eyes glowered at the sight of Fox fawning over the Witch. It felt like betrayal, stabbing and twisting.