Chapter Thirty-Three

Warbler's car rattled through Alton merrily. The sun beat down, forcing most people out of the midday sun and leaving only workers and policeman milling about the roads. The heat made the car stink, churning Esme's empty stomach badly, but Warbler warned her not to open the windows.

'It'll let out the incense. We need it inside.' He said firmly.

She had obeyed but resented it. The incense just made it all worse and she didn't think she could last much longer. She wasn't sure what she would vomit though. She hadn't eaten anything all day.

Warbler suddenly squealed the car to a stop, making the seatbelt pull around her chest uncomfortably. She peered up at Warbler as he wound down the window and instantly froze. A gruff looking policeman was just outside, pen and paper ready as he gazed at Warbler and Esme mercilessly. Her heart stopped. Warbler didn't know who she was, that she was the convict these policemen were looking for. He saw no harm in talking to them and letting them get close to her.

'Need to check the vehicle. No doubt heard we're lookin' for Esme Dupont being a Wizard of the Ivory Tower and all, Mr Townsend.'

Warbler bowed his head in understanding. 'Yes. Check everywhere you need to.' Warbler pushed the door open and nudged Esme to do the same. 'Hop out. Let these kind men do their work.'

With shaking fingers, Esme clutched the door handle and opened the door. She slipped out into the stale midday air, still holding the incense close. A White Wizard stood nearby, holding out his Grimoire and summoning a spell slowly. While he didn't seem to have any kind of urgency and only looked at her with vague interest, it still sent her heart flying to her mouth. She stared at the dusty road, not looking up once.

'What's the incense for?' One policeman asked as the rest began to rummage inside, shining lights.

'Car sickness. He gets quite ill.' Warbler said with an easy smile.

The White Wizard didn't question it. Esme imagined she looked sick enough with her slight frame and pale complexion. She clutched at the incense, hoping it would smother not only the Trapper's nose but the White Wizards as well. She couldn't be found now. Warbler would be arrested as an accomplice for ferrying her about and then no one would be left to save Fox. He'd die. Alone.

Thinking of Fox and how his life was in her hands helped calm her a bit. She stopped the increasing signs of hyperventilating and inhaled the scent of heat, dust and incense around her. The sense of panic eased off and she could finally look up to watch as Warbler's car was searched.

They had checked the boot, finding only emergency care and blankets, and the back seats had revealed no one hiding. They didn't question Warbler's Grimoire but they questioned the one they found in Esme's pack.

They pulled it out and handed it to the White Wizard. Esme watched, trying not to give away the utter terror she felt grasping at her chest. Would they realise that Grimoire belonged to Esme Dupont? No Grimoire was named but there was always a connection leading to the owner. Her Grimoire would point right at her.

But the White Wizard simply shrugged and glanced at her, his eyes flickering over her shabby clothes. 'You're new at the College?'

Esme hesitated. He'd asked her a question. She had to speak but that would give her away.

'He is. I'm his sponsor.' Warbler said smoothly. Esme glanced at him, noting how easy he found it to lie. It worried her a little.

The White Wizard held out Esme's Grimoire for her to take. 'It's well bound.' He said with an encouraging smile.