Chapter Fifty-Eight

Esme stared blankly at the tightly shut door in front of her. Iron bit down around her wrists, keeping them bound, and she wasn't crying anymore, simply because she was too tired. Despite Lithgow trying to tell her over and over, the memories of her actions remained at the forefront of her head. She kept recalling how she killed her aunt and, no matter what spells he cast or what he said, it didn't change. She knew the Council didn't believe him either. Esme wasn't surprised. She was guilty after all.

Lithgow was beside her, talking to her rapidly but she wasn't really listening, not until he shook her lightly.

'I know this isn't going to plan, lass. Denver go to the Council first, told them about you, and is pressing things to move quickly. She got them wrapped around her finger somehow but I will protect you, Esme.' He said firmly, not for the first time. 'I can't break whatever spell is on you but I'm going to get you checked over by a Spirit after this, including Denver. I can prove your truth is fake, or at least through enough doubt around that the Council actually listens to me and looks into the inconsistencies. Just keep a level head.'

Esme stared at him with exhaustion and pain in her eyes. 'I killed her though, Lithgow. Death is what I deserve.'

Lithgow's brow snapped down. 'You did not, I know you didn't. I saw it before and it's still in there.' He pulled her into a tight hug, petting her thick black hair softly. 'I won't let you die too.'

Esme's nose wrinkled from a desire to cry again but she held it back. As much as Lithgow said she didn't deserve death, Esme felt otherwise.

Esme was pulled away from Lithgow and urged to go ahead, leaving her in the hands a couple of burly security personnel. She didn't look at them. She just stared at the door until they swung open eerily. Her handlers pushed her in.

At first she was dazzled by the bright lights, causing her to flinch away until she could finally see. Instantly her stomach twisted in terror. She stood in a large dome made mostly of glasses windows with what walls it had painted pale white. Before her was a set of steps leading up to a small stand where a chair was awaiting her. She was guided up the steps and pushed into it. She stared out at the sea of faces before her, glancing about her surroundings vaguely.

The courtoom was full. The jury box was filled with faces she didn't know, the Council seats filled with wizen old men and the members of the Ivory Council, the judge's bench was home to an severe looking woman and the benches of the gallery where filled with wizards from far and wide.

Esme swallowed painfully and tears threatened to creep up. This was it. It was here she would announce her truth. That she killed her aunt.

She glanced at her Uncle, who sat grimly at a small table before the gallery. Denver was on the other table, looking beautifully sad. Esme felt something stir in her head at the sight of Denver, like something didn't feel quite right, but that was quickly silenced when she recalled how she killed her aunt.

The moment the judge spoke, proceedings began. Esme just say numbly as people spoke around her in tones of various distress and aggression. She didn't pay attention. It didn't matter. She was going to be shot or hung either way.

It wasn't until Denver rose that she began to listen.

'Grand Adjutant Denver of the Ivory Tower will recount the events of Cassandra Bloxham, Grand Wizard of the Ivory Tower.' Someone called out to the room.

'I recalled it, all though it still doesn't seem real.' Denver spoke out. 'I was turning up to an evening meeting with the Grand Wizard and discovered Ms Dupont above the Grand Wizards body. Her Grimoire was out and she had summoned a plague spell, causing the Grand Wizard to die slowly from poisons.' Ms Denver dabbed her eye sadly. 'I tried to apprehend Ms Dupont but she had flung herself out from the window. I regret to say I couldn't capture Ms Dupont or heal the Grand Wizard. She died shortly afterwards.'