Chapter Twenty-Three

'Dupont.'

Esme groaned as someone shook her lightly, calling her name. She didn't want to wake up. She slept well and deeply and was have a pleasant dream of her parents and aunt. She tried to swat them away but her hand was arrested by something warm and rough. She flinched and opened her eyes. Fox was crouched over her with his vibrant eyes narrowed.

'Don't go hitting people.'

Esme didn't say anything and pulled her hand out of his grasp. She disliked how it tingled, as if she could still feel his hand gripping hers still. It felt oddly warm.

'I am sorry.' She mumbled as she rubbed her hand curiously.

Fox grunted and rose. 'We're going today.'

'We are?'

'We can't go by transport. Both Cuckoo and Elenore say the train-lines and blimp-stations are crawling.'

'So how are we going to get to the Granite Tower?' Esme asked in concern. The Granite Tower was far away and trains were necessary to get there in good time. Walking was impossible.

'Cuckoo is taking us down the country lanes. He's willing to go as far as Gyle villiage but then we're going to have to walk it or hitchhike.'

Esme's nose instantly wrinkled in disgust. Hitchhike. She would have to thumb lifts with strangers? All the way down to the Granite Tower? She was okay with the farmer just outside of town, he seemed friendly enough, but she thought it was a one off.

Fox folded his arms. 'Hitchhikin' is the safest way. Buses, trains and blimps are out until I hear good news. You want to get down to the Granite Tower alive right?'

Esme nodded lightly.

'Then we do it my way. As you promised.'

She sighed lightly. She had promised and she blackmailed Fox in the first place because he'd know how to evade danger best. 'I will follow.' She promised softly.

'Great. Then get dressed and get downstairs. We're leavin' soon.'

Instantly Esme was very aware of how naked she was. She could feel the old cold floorboards beneath her and the air made her skin prickle. Her face burned as she pulled the scratchy blanket tightly up to her shoulders and didn't look at Fox until she heard the door shut, signalling he'd left.

She heaved out a sigh. The fox curse turned out to be the worst when she became human. She was usually asleep when dawn broke so her body changed back when she was at her most vulnerable. So far, Fox hadn't done anything ungentlemanly and in fact seemed to go out of his way to cover her, which was a surprise. She could recall someone moving her from the windowsill when she still had her fur and whiskers and putting a blanket over her while she slept. She had to assume it was Fox. No one else would think to cover a vixen up. But even so, it was embarrassing.

Very carefully, Esme stood. Her legs wobbled a little but quickly adjusted to being human again. She called out for Absolon but he didn't respond, signally he was probably floating outside before the sun rose too high, bringing its summer heat with it. She quickly snatched up her clothes and pulled them on before seeking out the bathroom. She poked her head out into the hall of Cuckoo's home and the scent of cooked food instantly made her stomach gurgle.

'Get clean first.' Esme reminded herself and just about managed to keep herself on path to the bathroom and didn't slink downstairs. She was finding herself growing hungrier as the days slipped by. She wondered if the curse had something to do with it.

When she was in the cluttered bathroom, she flinched when she saw herself in the mirror, forgetting she didn't quite look herself still. The blonde hair was still there, the short length changing the shape of her face slightly, and her eyes were dull. She wasn't used to it yet.