Chapter Sixty-Nine

Esme was feeling a little overwhelmed. In the space of only a few seconds she had gone from feeling absolute despair, to anger at her whistles being ripped from Absolon and then sheer joy that Fox was alive, standing as tall as he could with that stubborn glint in his eye. It made her feel a little sick and swamped as her emotions were pulled and shoved about so rapidly. It made her head hurt a little but the waves of guilt she felt and pressing memories boring down on her abated. She could think again.

But her joy was becoming incredibly short lived as Denver's nails dug into her skin, pressing down painfully into her wrist. The anger emanating from her was great, washing over Esme in waves. It made her feel a little frightened, especially when she glanced at her uncle and the stranger, their faces grim and dark. A fight was going to break out and magically charged fights never ended well, especially for those uninvolved who just had the misfortune of being close by.

'Hello, Suellen Denver. We have come to retrieve my niece.'

'Lithgow, she has been charged already. Tried fairly and found guilty.' Denver sniffed, scowling savagely. 'And you have been stripped of your power. You hold no say over whether she is tried again or not.'

'Technically, no. My position was removed while avoiding the most basic laws and regulations. The stripping was illegal, Suellen. I remain in charge until it's done properly.' Lithgow said sharply. 'And I want my niece tried by Spirit. I want her truth tested.'

A red smile came over her features. 'But your niece has admitted to this murder over and over, Lithgow. It's almost as if you don't care about gaining justice for Grand Wizard Bloxham.'

Lithgow stiffened, his expression darkening, while the strange held up her hand. 'Miss Denver. I have a Spirit at my disposal, ready to come test the truth. It is a Spirit not bound to me, free of any ties. I can call it now and get this over with, and then we'll be on our way.'

Denver scowled at the woman irritably. 'And who are you?'

'Effie McGill. Mother Witch of the Mossy Glenn Coven.' She said, smiling easily.

Esme found herself feeling surprised. What was a Mother Witch doing here? Esme had spoken her truth, she had killed her aunt (or had she?). She knew Denver felt the same. Her pale face paled more, making her make-up look that much darker and vibrant.

'Esme Dupont has already been tried for truths, Madama McGill.' Denver said stiffly. 'There's no need.'

Effie smiled brighter. 'Grand Wizard Lithgow, however, strongly believes there is. I do this to help him. If Esme is speaking her real truth, then he can let her go and move on. It will only take a few moments, I assure you. The Spirit is made of truth itself.'

That didn't settle Denver however and in fact made her angrier. Her grip on Esme's wrist was so tight now that Esme was wincing and trying to pry herself loose, to no avail. Abruptly, with only a gentle gust of wind to announce his presence, Sodden was beside her, holding her Grimoire and a whistle in his mouth. Denver shot him a withering stare.

'Sodden. You failed me.'

'The Spirit of this Tower got him out.' Sodden said. 'I didn't think him important enough to chase.'

'Important enough?'

'So long as Esme Dupont believed him dead, that's enough. But he's shown himself.' Sodden stepped forward, bowing slightly. 'I'm sorry, Madama McGill, but we must be on our way. No testing of Esme Dupont's truth will happen.'

'And why's that, wandering Druid?'

'Because we have worked too hard.' Sodden said easily.

'Sodden!' Denver hissed in alarm. 'What are you doing, you fool?'