Chapter Twenty-Four

Fox woke with a start the moment the van stopped moved and the engine died. He sighed heavily and rolled onto his side. He didn't want to move. Turning that coil until the engine sputtered to life in the summer heat was a pain.

'You do it, Dupont. Done it four times now.'

Dupont glanced at him but nodded in agreement. She shuffled forward and was about to open the back of the van until it was done for her.

Light spilled and Cuckoo smiled. 'We're here now. Time to get out.'

Fox sat up. 'We are?'

Cuckoo nodded then vanished again.

Dupont was out first. She hopped down and pulled her bag after her, calling at Absolon to wake up. He did so slowly and drifted out into the summer air. Fox didn't want to move however. The little fans and tiny windows had kept him cool, despite being in a massive metal box. There was no wind and no clouds outside, just endless sunshine and warmth. But he had to get out. They had to keep moving.

Unhappy, Fox pushed himself out of Cuckoo's van and came to stand beside Dupont. He glanced at her, eyeing her features. The damage done to the spell seemed to have fixed itself. She no longer looked like a bizarre mix of people and her hair was golden and short again. Oddly though, being reminded of her original eye colour, he missed it. The blue was weak and dull and not nearly as vibrant as her natural honey colour.

Dupont took her eyes of her new surroundings and looked at him, her gaze questioning. Fox flushed a little, realising what he was thinking, and quickly shrugged and turned away to focus on Gyle. It was a small village and he currently sat in the heart; a cluster of shops of houses surrounding a large stone carving of winged horse. Picturesque bungalows and detached housed sat within their own lot of carefully cared for gardens and picket fences. Lanes squirmed off in different directions, each with their own set of houses and ending with fields and farms. Gyle was quiet and pretty but boring. Most of the people here were farmers and the elderly so there wasn't much in the way of entertainment, not like Lakeside. Fox had always disliked Gyle.

'I'm sorry I can't take you further but I can't leave Clockton without leave.' Cuckoo said as he came to stand beside the pair.

Fox shrugged. Cuckoo was the Fence in Clockton. Leaving randomly for more than day could prove very troublesome for the Fingers, especially for the Doe who was the largest Fence in the area. 'Doesn't matter.'

Cuckoo still looked a little upset with himself. 'Get yourself a lift with someone. Farmers go by often. Pay them and they'll take you where you want to go.' He smiled. 'There won't be many Wizards around here, maybe one at most, but still, keep cautious.'

'We truly cannot use public transport?' Dupont asked softly as Absolon settled on her head.

'No. Not yet. The further away from Lakeside you get, the more likely you'll be able to take short trips. But you're still too close to Lakeside. The transport systems are watched.' Cuckoo said.

Dupont sighed miserably but didn't argue. She seemed to really not like the idea of hitchhiking.

'Got to get used to it, Dupont.' Fox said, slapping her back.

Dupont stumbled a little at the impact and scowled a little.

'I'll get back to Clockton. Good luck you two and don't die.' He said and gave Dupont a brief embrace.

Fox stiffened at sign of friendliness from Cuckoo. He hadn't lied the other night. He really did trust Dupont.

Well I don't, he thought stubbornly.