Chapter Fifty-One

Fox was feeling sick. His head rung badly and there was pain pressing into the back of his eyes. His lip was swollen, his nose stung and he swore something was broken in his chest. All because he decided to fulfil his contract and his contractor had gone rogue. Luckily though, greed had protected Fox from the White Wizards for a while, but not fists. Fox was trained to take a pummelling though and kept his mouth shut about Dupont and every single Fence who was in on her escape. Regardless of whether the Fingers had gone to ground, this contractor was going to be in a lot of trouble with them.

Fox had resigned to the fact he had failed and was going to die or give up Dupont's location un-willingly. He cursed himself over and over, hating himself for being caught and putting Dupont in such danger. The knowledge Bull was going to spirit her away and he'd never see her again was worse though. He knew Bull wasn't going to give her up to him now he was known as a Finger and the idea that Dupont was going to be saved by someone else just tasted bitter to him. It made his chest tighten and throat close up. And then, much to his surprise, he heard her voice and smelt her scent. He called out her name and there was, her eyes wide with relief and her mouth pulled into a grin. Never in his time with he did he think he'd feel such pure relief and joy at seeing her. And it wasn't because he was saved for a further beating and magical torture. No, it was the fact he saw her again.

Fox grunted as Dupont pushed him through the window. She was hurrying him and he understood why by the increasing shouts behind the parlour door, but he wished she'd be a little nice with him. Everything ached and he collapsed heavily onto the path outside, wincing from the sunlight that barrelled into his eyes.

Dupont was on him, hauling him to his feet and holding him close. He liked how soft and warm she felt, how she enveloped him so carefully and murmured to him. It oddly made him feel safe.

What the hell am I thinking...

'Fox, Fox I need you to get your head together.' Dupont grunted as she pulled through a gateway and out into the immaculate lawn tucked between the two manors. 'I need you functioning. I don't know what to do next.'

Fox glanced up, gazing at her pale face and how her brow was furrowed in fear. She'd chucked herself into the fire to get him out but was rapidly realising she was in over her head. He had to step up. She needed him to or she'd be arrested. The idea of her getting executed by gunfire was all the motivation he needed.

Fox blinked, trying to ignore the pain in him, and get himself to actually pay attention to what was going on. He turned the garbled shouts into demands to find him. He turned the blurry vision into brick walls and grass. He tried to get his feet moving faster, putting more weight onto himself than on Dupont.

Soon he was running, his whole body jarring with every step that made him want to curl into a ball. Pain meant he was alive though. So long as he hurt and breathe, he had to keep moving.

Fox was quickly glancing about the road, figuring out the best course of action. The police were mobilising outside Chamber's house. That was bad. He glanced about noting the massive walls surrounding massive houses and the lack of places to hide. That was also bad. There was a crack and something thudded into the tree beside him. Gunfire. That was very bad.

But Fox spied something further up the road, a red van marked with Postal Service with its door open. He may never have owned a car but he knew out to drive one.

He snatched up Dupont's hand and dragged her towards it. She realised where he was heading and needed no more encouragement. She raced beside him, calling Absolon to remain close as the little Sprite pinged bullets to the side.