eleven

•Eleven• Haru's POV •

Last night it was pretty late when Rin left my house. I didn't care, it only meant I was extra tired in the morning.

I was sat in my bathtub, bored. Sadly, the water was my only company. Once again I didn't mind but having Rin with me would be just as great. The cool water had always been a friend to me. Always.

"Haru?" Said a voice at my bathroom door. It was only Makoto.

"Yeah?" I replied, getting myself out of the bath. I dried myself as quickly as possible.

"We're going to be late for school again. I thought I told you to watch out for the time?"

Makoto told me everyday to be ready actually on the perfect time. Yes I listened. But that didn't mean I noted it for good.

"You did," I answered, rushing into my room. It was tidy, with a few posters related to swimming and a neat desk I could do my homework at... or do art if I was stressed out. "Sometimes I forget things."

"How can you forget we have school five days a week?" Makoto laughed. It was good he was making jokes about it, even though I knew he deep down was pissed at me about it.

"Like I said, I forget." I frowned.

"Oh well." I was dressed at last, but didn't look as good as I could have. On my table in the kitchen was a paper bag with something inside.

"What's this?" I asked my friend confusedly.

"I made it. It's mackerel so don't worry." Makoto smiled.

"...Thanks." I took the brown bag and snatched my schoolbag too.

While we walked to school we had a few mini conversations about random stuff. The daily life of walking to school with Makoto!

"I hope you like your food today." Said Makoto.

"Hopefully." I replied. "Thanks again."

"I swear if you say thankyou again one more time I will stab you in the face." Makoto punched my shoulder.

"What with?" I asked him, punching him back.

"With..." he picked up a long, thin stick and started jabbing me with it. "That!"

"You don't know where that's been."

"On the floor, where else?" Answered Makoto, quickly dropping it afterwards. I guess I won at that game.

"Thats what I thought."

When we got to the Iwatobi school gates, there was nobody there.

"They're already in class!" Makoto exclaimed. I noticed people in classrooms, looking boredly out of the windows. To be honest I do not blame them. School can be like that. However, swimming there is great. You're with your friends having fun. What's not to like?

We both rushed into lesson. "Again?" Ms Amakata crossed her arms and narrowed her eyebrows.

"We're very sorry." Makoto bit his lip.

"You boys are always late," She shook her head. "I've had enough of it. Stay behind after lesson. We need to talk."

"Fine." We both mumbled. Then we took our seats.

An hour went by, and our teacher started to dismiss everyone. Soon we were the only people left.

"So," She began. "You two owe me."

"For what?" I asked.

"For being late so much, and your swim club."

I raised an eyebrow at Makoto. "We repaid you for the club, by fixing up the pool and keeping it clean for all this time."

"What about actually getting your club approved in the first place?" She argued back.

"Um I don't know." Makoto answered.

"Well I have had enough." Our teacher placed her hands on her hips. "To teach you both a good lesson, how about you stay with me after school?"

"Like a detention?" I rolled my blue eyes.

"In other words, yes."

"...When? We have plans today." Makoto explained.

"In wasn't going to say today. I was thinking tomorrow," She paused. "Tomorrow it is and no arguments."

"But-" I remembered about what was happening tomorrow. Rin's effort of taking us all out. I didn't want to upset him, not after how enthusiastic he was about it.

"You can go. After tomorrow, we will all be on good terms. Correct?"

"Yes." I sighed.

"Yes." Makoto agreed.

"Good. Now tell your teacher I was talking to you so you don't get in any more trouble." We both left and headed to our next class.

At lunch we decided to swim some more, considering prefecturals was getting even closer. It was announced to be in two weeks.

"Damn," Nagisa said. "We should practice."

Gou had just told us about it.

"You should. I really want to win the whole competition this year, so you guys had better hurry up and make me proud!" She was serious.

"We will." Rei confidently replied.

"Good."

Rei and Nagisa went in the pool at the same time, so we could get more practice. As they were swimming up and down, Gou timed them one by one and recorded their results on a clipboard.

"Makoto." I said as quietly as possible.

"What?" He asked turning towards me.

"Shall we tell the others about tomorrow?

My friend paused. He was probably balancing the positives and negatives of what I said. Yup, that's Makoto for you.

He opened his mouth to talk. His wonderful advice was...

"It's up to you."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. I'll tell Rin later."

Nevermind that.

"I'll tell him now."

"Now?" Shockedly said Makoto. As I started to walk away, he placed his hand on my shoulder and stopped me.

"What?" I asked, trying to brush his hand away.

"Rin's going to be at school." How could I forget. My mind was filled with random things, and I couldn't be bothered to bare that comment in mind.

"I don't care," I sighed. "You will cover up for me won't you?"

Makoto's green, slanted eyes widened. "If that's what you want..."

"Thanks." With that I ran into the changing room and put my uniform back on. Afterwards, I began to make my way through school. I already had thought of an escape plan.