fourteen

•Fourteen• Rin's POV •

"Please wake up." I whispered, holding Haru's hand tightly. The doctor said he might be like this for a few hours at least. They didn't know how it happened. I heard the door open. I looked around and saw it was Makoto.

"Hello..." He said.

"Hi..." I replied, turning my gaze back to Haru.

"Do you mind if I stay in here for a bit?" Makoto asked quietly.

I nodded, "Yeah sure." But I was quite hesitant about talking to him. I had never argued with him before. And I never expected to either.

"One reason I came here was to tell you I'm sorry." Makoto sighed. Suddenly, it became very awkward.

"Me too." I said back. Maybe talking would make it feel better. What am I saying... I'm not young anymore. What's the point in hiding from the problem and making a big deal out of it, or trying to get out of facing it.

"What did you do?" I was taken out of my thoughts, and brought back to the real world.

"I didn't... I didn't even try and help Haru when he turned up to Samezuka. I could see something was wrong but ignored it. It's all my fault."

"Rin..." Makoto said, his eyes wide. "If it's anyone's fault it's mine."

Suddenly, Haru sat up in his bed, breathing heavily. "Haru!" I exclaimed, my emotions a mixture of worry, happiness and sadness.

"I'll go get a doctor." Makoto stood up and ran out of the room.

"S-shit." Stuttered Haru, his breathing still heavy.

"Don't talk!" I panicked, unsure of what to do. "Makoto's gone to get help it's alright!"

"I'm in so much trouble--" Haru started to cry, making me feel like doing so too.

"No you're not!" I said, squeezing his hand.

Then, Makoto came in with a doctor.

"Alright Haru, keep this mask on." The doctor got straight to work and placed the oxygen mask back on his face.

"Rin..." Haru looked at me. Why was he acting like this? He was supposed to be better not getting worse.

"I'm staying here Haru just listen to the doctor."

Then I turned to Makoto, who was looking worried too. "I'm just going to step outside."

"See you later." I replied.

Makoto left, probably to tell Nagisa and Rei everything that has happened in these last few minutes.

Fortunately, Haru was working with the doctor and doing everything she said.

"Well done." I whispered, happy everything was going well.

"Now," said the doctor. "I just need to ask a few questions."

Haru looked at me nervously. "Does he have to answer them?" I asked.

She shrugged, "Well he doesn't have to but it'll help us more if he does."

"Do you want to?"

Haru slowly nodded. I couldn't tell whether he really wanted to or not.

"First question," Began the doctor. "How are you feeling at this moment in time?"

She had a clipboard and pen. Her hand was ready to write things down. What?

"I feel fine... my legs feel different but that's normal, isn't it?" Haru answered with hesitation.