twenty six

•Twenty Six• Makoto's POV •

What was all that about?

After a few seconds, Haru came out of the same room Sousuke was in. It all started to piece together.

That sudden change in Haru, the awkwardness between my friend and Sousuke when everyone were together. The fact they never spoke to each other.

Anyway, the look on Haru's face when he noticed me proved that something was going on. "We need to talk." I said.

"But your race is starting soon. You can't miss it." Haru replied, walking past me like Sousuke did.

I grabbed onto his arm. "Afterwards, then."

"Fine." We then walked in silence to where we had to be.

For a few minutes I warmed up, trying to blank out all the random thoughts about what could be going on. I also put on my swimming hat and goggles.

All the other swimmers stepped onto the starting block and jumped into the cold yet satisfying water.

"Ready." The voice in the speakers exclaimed.

We got into our backstroke starting positions and waited for the whistle. A few moments later, we heard it.

I successfully began to swim as soon as I heard the sound, saving me lots of time. Although I was feeling quite confused, the water really calmed me down and made me faster.

The next thing I knew, I was halfway through my first lap. In the background I could hear the team cheering for me! It was great. I could also hear Samezuka, but that didn't bother me at all. I didn't even know the guy who I was swimming against.

Next it was the turn.

It all seemed too easy?

I had completed the turn and had been swimming on the way back. It was as if the water was helping me in some way... it was letting me be quicker.

My mind had drifted off, and soon enough my hand had came into contact with the pool wall. I was stood up in the pleasant water and took off my goggles and swimhat.

I heard the team still cheering, and so looked up at the special board with the results on. First place! It seemed there was only a 3 second difference between myself and the Samezuka's backstroke swimmer's time.

Anyway, I lifted myself out of the pool and headed into the locker room. I dried myself off and put my clothes back on, with plans to go and see the team afterwards.

Haru walked in. "My race is after the half an hour break."

"Is it?" I asked, slipping on my shirt. "That gives us time to talk."

"About what?" Haru asked, leaning against a blue locker.

"Sousuke, of course." I replied.

"What do you mean?" My dark haired friend questioned, confusion in his tone.

"Come on Haru," I sighed. "Stop acting like you don't know."

"I don't know what you're saying."

I slipped on my Iwatobi jacket and looked into Haru's deep blue eyes. "Then why don't we start with that idea?"

"Makoto," Said my friend. "I have no idea what you are going on about!"

"Is there," I paused. "Something going on with you and Sousuke?"

Haru's eyes widened. "As in, more than friends?"

I nodded.

"Me? More than friends with Sousuke? What gives you that idea!" Haru spoke irritatedly.

I slammed my locker shut, and turned to face him. "Earlier. You were both in that storage room."

"And what does that prove?"

"How about this, whenever everyone has been together, you and Sousuke haven't said a word to each other."

"What has there been to talk about? Do you have any other points?"

"Yes! Your personality has changed. You're more secretive now."

"People are quick to notice when someone changes, but fail to notice who's changing them." Haru glared at me, and started to walk away.

"You can't walk away like nothing has happened!" I exclaimed.

"Just, drop it Makoto," My friend turned around. "I've told you that there's nothing going on."

"Fine, I will." Haru then left. For a moment, I was happy I asked but then started to feel quite annoyed with myself.

But why?

All I did was what a friend should. I guess?

Anyway, I left too and had found everyone else. Gou had made us some food to eat, which was nice of her.

We were celebrating and having fun. There was fifteen minutes left until Haru had to go and get ready for his race.

"I'm going to go early." He spoke.

"Really? Why?" Gou replied.

"I need to do some things." We were all looking at Haru as he stood and started to leave.

"We will cheer you one!" Yelled Nagisa behind him.

"Thanks." It was the final word we heard him say, before he had disappeared.