twenty four

•Twenty Four• Rin's POV •

The team and I had just arrived to the competition. There were many other schools waiting outside too. I recognised some of them, but the rest I didn't.

I was wondering where Iwatobi was. The thought of seeing Haru made me excited and even happier.

"You alright?" Asked Sousuke, coming to stand by me.

"Yeah." I replied. "I'm just waiting for Haru."

We could see the carpark from the entrance. "That looks like Rei." I said with a raised eyebrow. Then I decided it would be best to go see the team.

"Where are you going?" Exclaimed Sousuke.

I ignored him and carried on walking.

***
"What's going on?" I asked Nagisa when I got over to them.

"Well, urm." He blinked, looking at Rei.

"Haru try and lift up your leg or something." I heard Gou say.

What?

I walked around and saw Haru sat on Makoto.

"What are you two doing?" I asked confusedly.

"We're kind of stuck." Makoto replied.

I looked at Haru who was slowly standing up.

"Be careful!" Makoto said. "Oh that's an ass okay..."

Haru was soon out of the car. "That wasn't awkward." I laughed.

"I know right." Haru replied with a small smile.

"Putting that aside, I've missed you!" I hugged him tightly.

"I've missed you too! " There was a pause. "I can't breathe."

"Sorry." I said, pulling away. "Promise you'll do your best today." I looked Haru in the eyes. They were so pretty.

"I promise... will you promise me the same thing?"

"Of course. I promise." I answered with a grin.

"I'm sorry to disturb you but we really should go and wait too... look they're going in!" Rei blinked.

"Right, yeah."

Soon we were inside, and had signed in. Well, before doing so I had to catch up with my team which didn't take long. Fortunately, Captain didn't even notice I had gone.

"This is great." I said to Sousuke. Our team took our seats. It was fantastic. Everyone who was watching could look over the large, professional pool and see everything.

I wanted to stay there forever.

"It is, isn't it." Replied my dark haired friend. I think he was competing in the 100m butterfly, against Rei.

Suddenly, a booklet was passed down to us all. I opened it up and inside were all the events and people's names who were competing in them.

"Our lane is next to Iwatobi's in each event." Sousuke spoke.

"Oh yeah." I shrugged. Then I saw the 200m Free. Where I was going to be against Haru.

"How are you feeling about that?"

I looked at Sousuke. "The 200m Free?"

"Yeah."

"Uhm... I don't really know. So I guess that's mixed emotions." I answered, turning away.

"Are you going to play nice for Haru?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You know, go easy on him."

I gasped slightly, not even questioning to myself why he was asking things like that.

"No... why would I?"

"Isn't that what people do when they love someone?" The atmosphere suddenly turned different. Weird different.

"Some people would. But do I look like the type of person who does?" I asked this time, looking at him in the corner of my red eye.

"Good point." We had been talking for longer than it seemed. There were five minutes until the first event, which was 100m breaststroke.

"It's Nitori's event." Sousuke reminded me.

"And Nagisa's."

• Nagisa's POV •

"It's me!" I exclaimed excitedly, rushing over to my friends. I had just been to get changed into my swimsuit in the locker room.

It was big, with small but helpful lockers in long rows around and these weird benches for people to sit on!

I had seen Nitori in there too, as we were racing each other within a few minutes. Really, I didn't know how to feel about it. Both nerves and excitement. It had been so long since I raced properly, that the feeling felt new, if that's how I should put it.

"Good luck." Rei spoke with a smile.

"Do your very best and show everyone what you can do!" Coach Sasabe exclaimed.

"Thanks." I smiled. "I'll see you in a bit."

With that, I speedwalked down the stairs which lead up to the balcony people watch at and found my lane which I would be swimming in.

Nitori's lane was next to mine. We stepped onto our starting blocks, "I'm not going to lose today." I spoke.

"W-well neither am I!" Replied Nitori.

I laughed slightly, "We'll see."

Suddenly, the commentator's voice filled the room, about to start the race. The 100m breaststroke.

"Ready," He exclaimed.

Everyone got into the starting position. I blocked out every other sound I could hear, and focused on the sound of the whistle.

A few seconds later, everyone heard it and leaped into action. I dived into the cold but nice water and started to swim.

I couldn't tell whether anyone was in front of me or not, as I was so focused on what I was doing. Could Nitori really win?

In the background I heard the team cheering me on. However, Samezuka was almost blocking them out as there were so many of them!

Anyway, I carried on swimming. My hands glided perfectly through the water. Now I'm sounding like Haru. Wow!

Forgetting that, I went into the turn. Then I spotted Nitori was neck and neck with me! As a result I used the turn to its full potential, and think got a little more ahead.

I continued swimming, and went as fast as possible on the way back. Near the very end of the race, I extended out my arms to help swim even faster!

Soon, I had touched the pool wall and had lifted my head out of the water. Then I turned my gaze to the big board which told us the scores.

1st Place.