Chapter 14

Chapter 14 (The Mistaken Girl)

After a very hard session with Kathleen, I was extremely tired. I thought yoga was supposed to be relaxing but it has gotten me very breathless and tired. Maybe it was because I had never been athletic before nor have I ever done yoga. “I am exhausted,” I sighed, collapsing onto the couch.

Patricia looked over me, biting her lip. “Um, I just made that…” she said, awkwardly.

My eyes widened and I jumped up from the couch. “Shoot, I’m sorry!” I said, smoothing out the lines on the comforter that I had messed up.

Patricia shook her head, amused. “Are you hungry again?” she asked.

I shook my head. “I’m fine. I’m not hungry yet.”

Patricia smirked. “You’re forgetting you have a baby in there,” she said, nodding towards my stomach.

I gulped, remembering that fact. “Oh… Yeah,” I said quietly.

Patricia laughed and walked into the kitchen. “You know, I just conceived it yesterday. I may not even be pregnant yet!” I called out to her.

“Yet!” she called back, giggling.

I frowned, thinking. How could Patricia be that happy when she is working as a maid for a scary gang? I would be petrified, hell, I already am! I’d better ask her about that. As if on cue, Patricia came in, holding a bowl of salad. I frowned. “I don’t like salad.”

Patricia laughed, forcing it into my hands. “Yeah, but the baby might so eat up.”

I reluctantly chewed the green leaves. I felt like a rabbit. “So, why are you so happy?” I asked.

Patricia furrowed her brows. “What do you mean?”

“Like, why are you so happy? You’re working as a maid for a gang. I would be moping around all the time,” I said, letting out a breathy laugh.

Patricia shrugged. “Well, my life is already awful as it is, so why not make the best of it by putting on a smile?”

I nodded in realization. “Oh, so you’re an optimist.”

Patricia laughed, tilting her head side to side. “You can call me that. I’m not going to say I love being a maid for a gang but I will say that you need to make the best out of it.”

I nodded, taking in what she said, continuing to eat my salad. After a few moments of silence, she spoke again. “I was pregnant too once,” she said, looking away as if remembering.

I choked on the leaves, looking at her in shock. “Really?” I asked in surprise.

Patricia nodded, laughing. “Honest. I used to be a rebel, always sneaking out at night to go clubbing. Mind you, I was clubbing by myself. Anyways, I was out at the club once when I was met this really great guy and we hit it off. He was sensitive and nice and not like all the other guys in the club who only wanted to grind up on you and take you back to their place.”

I frowned. “What happened?”

Patricia’s expression went from happy to dark. “After numerous dates, we became officially boyfriend and girlfriend. Obviously, we slept together. A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant with his child. I told him and he was extremely happy but then his face quickly turned into horror.”

I gasped. “And?”

Patricia sighed, wiping a tear that was running down her cheek. “He told me that he wanted to be part of the baby’s life and I said of course he could but he then told me that he was part of a gang and he could get into some serious trouble for telling a girl who wasn’t in the gang that and getting her pregnant.”