Chapter 18

Chapter 18 (The Mistaken Girl)

I awoke to Caleb nudging me in the shoulder. I looked out the window; we were now in the parking lot of some bar type of place. “Hey, you awake?” he asked.

I nodded, yawning. “What are we going to do here?”

“We might get a few leads on where Derek and Jayden’s new cabin is,” he said, unbuckling his seatbelt.

I was still half asleep so I literally tumbled out of the car. Caleb and I walked in. The place was almost empty, which was understandable since I didn’t think anyone would come here in the middle of the day. “Stay close to me,” Caleb whispered as we went to the bar, where the majority of the people were.

A bartender came up to us. “What can I get you guys?”

Caleb shook his head. “Anything you recommend is good.”

I wasn’t really in the mood to drink, especially at this time of day but we really needed to buy something if we needed to blend in with our surroundings.

The bartender nodded and walked away. “How will we find out where their new cabin is without blowing our cover?” I asked, leaning into Caleb so no one could hear us.

“Keep your eyes and ears open. If nothing comes, we will just have to ask around,” Caleb whispered back.

I nodded and listened to the conversation between two men beside us. “I am done with them, man. I am sick and tired of this life,” one of the men said, taking a sip of his beer.

The man he was talking to, laughed. “Same here. I swear, if I have to move my stuff one more time, I’m going to kill myself.”

“They moved again?” the first man asked, shocked.

The other man nodded. “Yeah! You didn’t know? I wonder how they get that kind of money. Especially in the cabins they can afford.”

The first man rolled his eyes. “Think about it. They are gang members. Of course they can afford stuff like that easily.”

“Where is it anyways?”

“Derek and Jayden’s cabin? Up in the hills just like their old one except this one is on the west side, now.”

Caleb gave me a knowing smile. “Let’s go!” he whispered to me.

We both got up from our seats and were about to head out when we heard the bartender’s voice. “Hey, you forgot your drinks!” he said, holding up two beers.

Caleb shook his head. “Actually, we have to jet. Sorry,” he said, pulling me along out the door.

“So, do you know where it is?” I asked, once we started the car.

Caleb nodded. “Yeah, I just have to go on the west side instead of the east side like before.”

We continued to drive for awhile before Caleb abruptly stopped the car in the middle of the road. Cars honked angrily behind us. “Caleb!” I yelled, taking the wheel from him and parking us at the side of the road.

I smiled sheepishly at the cars who passed by us, honking, swearing, and flipping us off. “Caleb, why’d you stop?! You could have gotten us killed!”

Caleb shook his head, looking at nothing in particular as if he was concentrating on something in his mind really hard. “I-I’m sorry… I just felt a bit weird, that’s all,” he said, his voice low.

I frowned. “What do you mean you felt weird? What’s wrong?” I asked.

Caleb shook his head again. “I’m fine, r-really. I’m just…”