12. Pairing Up Part 1

This is the first part working on the second part. I didn't want to make ya'll wait any longer.

Thanks for reading and commenting, and sticking with this story even with the uploads being so far apart. I've gotten busier, but I do write during whatever free time I have.

-------------------------

Danny is spending the night at Caleb’s house. It had taken a lot of time for Seth to say yes, but in the end Danny had convinced him to let him sleep over. Now, Seth is waiting for Coach Nate to show up at his house to plan for the celebration. He can’t believe he had volunteered his house when Nate had asked him where he prefered to meet, especially agreeing to meet at night-time.

What was I thinking? Why didn’t I say meet earlier in the evening at a coffee shop or something? I never invite strangers to my home. That’s because you’re interested in him. The small voice responds. Ugh! Nothing can happen. I just set myself for a disaster waiting to happen.  Besides he probably isn’t even gay. I can’t mention that I am in case he’s homophobic.

Seth decides to make dinner to calm his nerves although that hadn’t been the agreement. Making dinner does work, but now with fifteen minutes left until seven and all preparations ready his nerves are back at full blown.

I need to make sure the drinks and food are ready, and everything is clean and orderly. He sets off to check everything again.

On his way back to the living room the doorbell rings.  He stops mid-step.

“I can do this. I can do this.” Seth chants to himself as he resumes walking now heading to the door.

Taking a deep breath he opens the door.

***

What should I wear? The green shirt that Scarlett says brings out my eyes even more? Yes, I’ll go with that and jeans. Nate thinks.

His phone rings and he can’t help the jump his heart gives thinking that it might be Seth calling him to cancel on him.

“Hello.”

“Hi, big brother. How are you doing?” Nate lets out a breath of relief at his sister’s voice.

“Good!” Scarlett could hear the smile.

“Are you going on a date with your boyfriend?” Nate could hear the smirk.

“NO! I don’t have a boyfriend.” Nate yells.

“Calm down and you know who I’m talking about.”

“No, I don’t and just so you know I’m going to meet with one of my student’s dad to plan out the celebration. Are you coming to it?”

“Yes, I told you I would.”

“Okay, I have to go though or I’m going to be late.”

“Okay and say hi to the boyfriend for me.” Scarlett hangs up before Nate can respond.

Can’t she just leave it alone. Nate thinks with a smile.

Her words make him happy though because it means she wants him happy and accepts him. After everything a small part of him unintentionally doubted that she accepted who he is. Grabbing his keys, he heads toward his car making sure to lock the door.  Now minutes away from Seth’s house he can’t keep the grin off his face. He doesn’t want to scare Seth off. He can’t believe after weeks of trying to talk to Seth, he is heading to his house now. Arriving at his destination, he gets out of the car and straightens his shirt.  He walks to the door still with the grin on his face and he rings the doorbell.

Just seconds away from seeing him. He thinks.

The door seems to open ever so slowly. Seth is wearing a sky blue shirt and jeans.

He looks editable. “Good evening, Seth!” Nate greets him.

“Good evening, Coach Nate. Come right in.”

“I told you, you can call me Nate.”

“Okay, Nate, I took the liberty of making some dinner. I hope you’re hungry.”

He can cook! “Thanks and yes, I didn’t have time to eat.”

“Great this way. It’s all ready and we can talk about the celebration over dinner.”

All business no play.Nate thinks with a grin. “Where’s Danny?” Nate asks.

“He’s at Caleb’s house on a sleepover.”

So we’re alone. I was counting on him being here, so I wouldn’t do anything stupid.

They sit across from each other.

“I hope you like Mexican food. It’s chilaquiles my favorite.” Seth says.

“I do.” Nate responds enthusiastically.

Seth feels himself smile at his enthusiasm.

“My favorite type of food is Mexican food. And you have to know something really important…”

What could it be? He looks really serious. “What is it?” Seth asks.

“I love eating.”

And still he keeps the body he has. “That’s it? You were soo serious.”

“It is something really important.”

“Sure it is.” Seth chuckles.

“It is!” Nate insists with a smile.

He has a cute smile with dimples. Seth thinks.

“So what’s your favorite type of food?” After asking, Nate takes a bite of the food.

“That’s difficult. I don’t really have a favorite type of food more like favorite dishes…”

“This is really good!”

“Thanks.” Why am I fighting a blush. I never blush from compliments!

“Such as?”

“Oh, this dish, tostadas, pasta, pizza, and ice cream.”

“Ice cream isn’t a dish.” Nate responds with a chuckle.

“It is if you want it to be.”

“Okay, so what’s something really important to you?”

Without missing a heartbeat Seth responds, “Danny.”

“You are a great dad. I can see that you really care about him.”

“Thanks and I do. He’s the most important person in my life.”

“What about Danny’s mom? You don’t have to answer if it’s too personal.”

“I don’t know anything about her just that she was really young when she had him.”

Confuse Nate asks, “How is that the only thing you know?”

“How about you?”

“What about me?”

“Who is the most important person in your life?”

“My sister, Scarlett. I love her to pieces.”

---------------------

Thanks again for reading.