13. Pairing Up Part 2

The conversation continues between them.  Each enchanted by the other.  They avoid any direct conversation about their love lives. Seth is worry that Nate might not like him after he reveals his sexuality and Nate doesn’t want to scare him away.

Now done with their dinner, they opt to move to the living room to talk about the celebration. The living room is like no other Nate has seen. The walls are each a different vibrant color; sky blue, lime green, yellow, and orange.  Instead of sofas there are bean bags and a couple of butterfly chairs. All in all it gives the feeling of happiness and comfortableness. Seth heads to one of the bean bags near the coffee table to place his dessert and the wine.

“Comfy living room.”

“Yes, I’ve never liked doing what others do…what would you like on the TV or music?  I don’t really like silence.”

Another thing in common. Nate thinks. “Music.”

Sitting on front of the coffee table, Seth states, “music it is. Take a seat.”

Nate takes the bean bag on the side leaving a short distance between the  two.

“So what did you have in mind for the celebration?” Seth asks.

“I’ve never been much for planning celebrations that is why I need help.” Nate responds sheepishly taking a drink from his glass.

Entranced by Nate, Seth doesn’t respond right away.

“Oh, so let’s see...it can either be at someone’s house or at a place, one of those children places.”

“If it’s in someone’s house,  I would need to ask the parents, who would be willing to  volunteer their house.”

“Yes, and you would have to ask soon, since the celebration is in a couple of weeks. I don’t mind it if it’s here.”

“Are you sure? You’re living room is pretty comfy, but kids make a mess. It’s inevitable.”

“I’m sure.”

“It’s settled then. Your house for the celebration.” Nate states.

“Yes, and it could also be set up in the backyard.”

“Can I see the backyard?”

“Yes. I think it’s big enough for everyone on the team and their parents, since it will be inside and outside. Let’s go.” Seth asserts taking his wine glass with him.

Nate follows. They walk down the short hallway to the screen doors when Seth trips. Nate is quick to grab him before he hits the floor grabbing him by the waist and pulling him up close to his body. Seth’s face turns red with embarrassment, but mostly from being so close to Nate. Feeling his breath in his neck, Seth struggles to suppress the shudder he feels. Nate is trying to control his voice. He doesn’t want to scare Seth off.  

“Are you alright?” Nate asks.

Seth nods afraid his voice will betray him.

"Well, the floor drank your wine," Nate jokes trying to lighten the mood.

Getting himself away from Nate, Seth gives a nervous chuckle.

Rushing out of there he says over his shoulder, "yes, I'm going to go get a rag."

Oh my god that was really close. Take a breath. How am I supposed to survive the rest of this night. Seth questions.

He just fit perfectly in my arms. I need to make him mine. Nate reaffirms.

***

The patio is intricate yet simplistic. Seth leads them them to the bench near the tree.

“This is very artistic. I’m seeing you’re very creative.”

“Thanks and yes.” Seth responds with a smile and a hint of blush.

“When can we get started?”

“Early on the day of, so that everything is ready after the game.”

“You know he’s a great kid and a great soccer player I’m sure we’ll win.”

“You’re very confident.”

“Yes, so we’re done right?”

“No, we need the food and drinks.”

“How could I forget about the most important things?” Nate asks. You’re distracting me.

“I think we could get pizza and some sandwiches and for dessert a cake.”

“Sounds good to me, so we need volunteers for that.”

“Yes.”

“Okay, were done. We should enjoy the night.”

“Don’t you have to go?”

“Nope. Tell me about yourself.” Nate demands as he drinks the last of his wine.

“Nothing much to tell. I’m a teacher. I live here with Danny and my best friend moved to California a couple of months ago. What about you?”

“There’s more to you, but I’ll let it slide for now. Hmm, let’s see I’m a coach. My sister is the only family I have, basically. Besides coaching, I enjoy the outdoors and would like to travel the world with my someone special.”

“What places have you traveled to?"

They find the company very relaxing and refreshing and without realizing, they are sitting closer to each other.  Only the lights of the deck illuminate the yard creating shadows. They hear the distant hum of the music, but their voices are the only music they need.

 --------------------------

Thanks for reading and leave a comment.