22. Origins

Here's the next chapter! Enjoy! Thanks for reading!

--------------------

After the meet, Nate sees the emotional toll the meeting took on Seth. He knows Seth still needs to process everything he learned today. He lets Seth choose what music to listen to and think about everything. He drives back home and remembering they still need some last minute things to get for Danny’s party he decides to call Eric to see if he can pick them up, so that he can help Seth relax. Fortunately, Eric answers saying he can. He drives them to Seth’s home.  

Upon seeing they’re heading to his house, Seth says, “aren’t we supposed to be going to pick up the pinata, and the other last minute items for Danny’s party?”

“No, Eric is doing that for us.”

“When did you ask him?”

“On our way here. I think you just need to process what you learned today and relax, so that’s what we’re doing.”

“Wow, you thought of everything.”

“Of course I’m known for being smart.” Nate responds with a wink, “so do you want take out or homemade?”

“We can have takeout.”

During the meal they talk about trivial things. Nate waits until Seth is ready to bring up the meeting.

“So what did you think about my mother?”

“She seems to genuinely care about you and wants to be part of your life.”

“Yes, what did you think about my story?”

“Well, she did give you up in the hopes that you would have a better life, since she couldn’t give you what you needed at the time, so her reasons are valid.”

“Yes, they are. You know I always refrained myself from being really angry with my biological parents. I never allowed myself to make any assumptions. I did ask my adoptive parents if they knew who my parents were and they sustained they didn’t know. They always told me I was adopted, but they loved me, and if I wanted to go look for them I could once I turned eighteen.”

“You’ve never mentioned them before.” Nate comments.

“That’s because they died in a car accident on their way to pick me up from school when I was in high school.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Yes, I was left alone and I had already met Karla, so she asked her parents if I could live with them for the remainder of high school. They agreed. I had their trust besides they know I’m gay. They became my foster parents then. I did meet up with Ms. Brown after my eighteenth birthday, but I wasn’t ready to learn about my parents.”

“I’m glad you had caring people looking out for you during that time. And understandable, I can’t even imagine what it feels like to go through losing the only parents you have known at such an age.”

“Thanks and yes, they did their best to help me through my grief. I do miss them a lot. You know I haven’t told you, but it’s something Danny and I have in common--we’re both adopted.”

He is? How did he come to adopt him at such a young age and still in college?

“The difference is that I have no idea who his parents are. I have told him he’s adopted, but that it doesn’t change things. He’ll always be my son. ”

“You have told him you’re adopted too?”

“Yes, he asked who his grandparents are, so I had to explain. Although, Kara’s parents are his adopted grandparents. You should see how they spoil him when we get together.”