35. Impasse

“He might feel guilty.” Karla states.

Karla actually has a view from where she is sitting to Kaiden’s car. She noticed he hadn’t driven off as soon as he got in.

“That could also explain his behavior.” Nate says.

“He didn’t know if you had the child.” Karla states.

“No, he didn’t.” Scarlett admits. I’ve had so much longer to come to terms with it than him.

“So it’s an expected response. He did say that he cares for you even if you don’t think he does. I also think it’s hard to forget and accept one’s guilt over something like this.” Karla explains.

“Yes. I am just afraid he’s acting the way he is because he is the same person he was back then.” Scarlett says.

“I doubt it. People mature and like Karla said he seemed sincere when he said he cares about you. Besides, if he wasn’t interested in any of it, he wouldn’t have sat through it all and let you finish, especially having us here too.”

“I know.” Scarlett replies. “Do you think Seth will be able to convince him to meet Danny or is he going to sustain his no?”

“He will or at least he will find out what his reasons are. He has a way with people when he’s determined. For now, we just need to wait and see what happens. Anyone want anything? I’m going to go get a piece of cake.” Karla asks.

“No, thanks.”

“You know he hasn’t changed much, physically I mean.” Scarlett says. “And I suppose he is in charge of his father’s company now. That was the plan they had for him as soon as he graduated college.”

“Is that what he really wanted to do?” Nate asks.

“No, but he never wanted to disappoint his parents.”

“I wonder if anything changed in his relationship with them then after his parents found out. Do you think they believed you?”

“Me too. I don’t know.”

“Well, if they didn’t and if he decides to be part of Danny’s life he is going to have to share that part of his life with his girlfriend or wife and his parents. It can’t be easy to accept all the changes that will come with being part of Danny’s life.”

“That’s true.”

“Yes, now let’s wait. How about a piece of cake after all while we wait?”

“No, but I’ll get more coffee.” Scarlett responds.

*

Kaiden hears the knock on his window. He takes a deep breath before he raises his head and turns to see who it is.

Seth? What does he want?

He opens the car door and steps out.

“Seth?”

“Can we talk?” Seth asks.

There’s nothing else to talk about. “About what?”

“Why you don’t want to meet Danny?”

“I--”

“No, I mean the real reason or reasons why you don’t want to.”

Why does he have to be persistent?“I just don’t want to be part of his life. I don’t want to have to change my life to be part of his.”