26. Swirling

Here's the next part! It is shorter than the last one though. Enjoy! :)

------------------

 “That would be so cute!” Elizabeth gushes.

Seth is anxiously waiting for Emilio’s reaction.

“No, it would not be cute. How could you say that it would be?” Emilio states.

His reaction silences everyone and the seconds it takes for someone to react seems like an eternity for Seth in which his hope is shattered. Trying to keep his face from showing how he truly feels Seth brings his hands down to his lap.

“Emilio!” Elizabeth reprimands.

“Why are you saying that?” Nate asks trying to control his anger.

“I’m not--”

“Are you homophobic?!” Nate questions.

No, he isn’t. He can’t be, but why did he make that statement. Did he just go along with whatever I said to keep me happy? Elizabeth wonders.

Seth feels his heart beating rapidly against his ribcage. Nate takes a hold of Seth’s hand squeezing it to remind him that he is there for him.

“I’m---”

“What gives you the right to judge others?” Nate asks.

“I didn’t--”

“Just let him speak, Nate.” Seth says in a steady voice although not loud, he is heard above Nate’s and Emilio’s.

“I didn’t mean it to sound like I’m a homophobic person. I’m not.”

He’s not? Did I hear right? Seth questions.

“I just meant to say that it makes people’s life harder when they are gay. Look at all the hatred there is in the world against them. I wouldn’t want anyone close to have to have to go through that. No one should.”

He’s not homophobic. Seth smiles.

“I’m sorry for assuming and not really letting you explain.” Nate apologizes.

“You don’t have anything to apologize. I should be more careful in my choice of words. It’s not the first time what I say leads others to the wrong assumptions, but I never seem to learn.”

“Yes, he’s a hard head. I hope you’re not like that Seth.” Elizabeth adds.

“He’s not.” Nate says.

“So you wouldn’t mind if Danny turns out to be gay?” Seth questions making eye contact with him.

“No, I would still love him the same. Why? Can he already tell?”

“I don’t know. He hasn’t said anything. I realized it when I was twelve.”

“You’re gay?!” Elizabeth exclaims.

“Yes.” Seth responds keeping his eye contact with his father.

Looking between Nate and Seth, Emilio makes the conclusion that they might possibly be more than just best friends.

“You’re both more than friends.” Emilio states.

“Yes.” Seth confirms in a steady voice.

“How did I miss that?” Elizabeth murmurs. “Why didn’t you tell us sooner?”

“I didn’t want to run the risk of finding out that you both were homophobic if you both turned out to be.” Seth discloses his fear.

“You didn’t have to be. We both still love you.” Elizabeth responds.