Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Niall’s POV

It didn’t seem right to see a 13 year old lying in a coma. Tegan has her whole life ahead of her, and she’s in a coma plugged into drips and machines and monitors like I’ve never seen before.

“Oh Tegan,” I sighed, holding her hand with on hand and stroking her hair back with the other. “Why did you do this to yourself huh? Please wake up sweetheart, we all miss you so much. I wish you could see just how much we need you.”

****flashback to when Tegan was 9****

“Uncle Niall?” Tegan asked one Wednesday afternoon when I’d picked her up from school.

“Mhm?” I replied, putting a few bits and bobs away.

“You know I’m your favourite niece in the whole wide world?”

“Yeah?” I chuckled.

“Wellcanyoumaybeteachmehowtoplayguitar?” Tee rushed without even stopping for a moments breathe.

“Slow down lovely, I can’t understand what you’re saying.” I turned to face her and chucked to myself as she flushed a pale shade of pink in embarrassment.

“Can you teach me how to play guitar?” She asked, shyly. “Please?”

“Of course I can, I’ve been waiting for you to ask.” I smiled at the small 9 year old in front of me. “I’ll just go grab a couple of guitars.” I ran upstairs and grabbed two acoustic guitars before rushing back down again. I handed one to Tegan and told her to sit down. I taught her about the strings, frets and chords before showing her how to play a little song. “Okay, so position your fingers like this, then this and finally this.” I showed her to chords and watched as she tentatively copied my actions. “Now play that through and repeat it.” I watched as Tegan played, and the sudden look of realisation that spread across her face.

“Little Things?” She asked, still strumming at the chords.

“Mhm.” I nodded smiling at her.

I showed Tegan how to play the rest of the song, and an hour later she was playing like a pro.

“That’s brilliant Tee,” I complimented her. “Are you gonna show your daddy when he comes to pick you up?”

“No, daddy can’t know.” She hurried, shaking her head.

“Why not?” I asked, taking the guitar from her and placing it along with mine in the stands.

“Because daddy likes me playing the piano, and I like playing the piano too, I just want to play lots of instruments without making daddy think that I don’t like piano.” Tee explained. “If daddy knew that I asked you to teach me guitar then maybe he’d think that I hate piano, which I don’t.”

“Tee sweetheart, your dad won’t mind you playing something else as well.” I chuckled at her, pushing her hair out of her face slightly.

“But he might.” She insisted. That’s the thing about Tee, she hates the thought of her ever upsetting anyone, ever.

“He won’t, but you don’t have to tell him if you don’t want you.” I told her. “Do you want to help get tea ready?” I asked, noticing the time. She nodded her head and skipped off into the kitchen.

After bangers, mash and peas Tegan continued practicing until she got ever chord and note perfect.

“Do you think daddy would like it that I can play Little Things?” She asked, carefully leaning the guitar against the wall.

“Of course he will, but he won’t know if you don’t play it to him.” I told her.

(end of flashback)

That’s exactly what she did. I’ll will I forget the smile on Tegan’s face when Liam told her he was proud of her. All she wanted to do was make him proud, and I guess she must have thought that she wasn’t making anyone proud or we wouldn’t be here would we?

I know this is short, but as it's half term I hope to be able to update again at some point this week.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked it, and if you're in the UK please stay safe is we get the storm we're meant to - especially if you're like me and in the higher warning zones 

Em xx