Aftertaste: Chapter One

I hated him for making me love him again, and yet nothing could prepare me for him having a girlfriend. I was pushed out of the picture. Luckily, his stupid girlfriend doesn't live with him and Sammy. So now I'm stuck in my room every day hoping that I won't have to hear them laughing. Every day Nash, and Cam find an excuse to take me out of the house because they know how uncomfortable I am with it.

"I'm leaving, Sam. Jack, jack, Cam, Nash and I are going," I whisper to my brother.

"Hayden, if this makes you uncomfortable, Cam and Nash will take you back in."

I look at the blonde in his arms. She smiles lovingly at him. He looks like he truly loves her, and if he does I won't make him leave her for me. I won't be like Natalie.

"I'll be fine sooner or later."

"Maybe later?"

"Yeah, definitely later."

I sigh and leave. Shutting the door and smiling when Jack G comes to me, and hugs me. Causing me to giggle. He's been nicer to me ever since Nate totally broke my heart.

Jack takes my hand and I following out to the car. He pulls me closer, and wraps his arm around my waist. I lay my head on his shoulder. They're taking me on a picnic of all things. Jack entwines our fingers and I look up at him.

The others leave the car and we trail behind slowly.

"So how are things going with Madison?"

"fine," he smiles, "She's dying to meet you."

I laugh and look at Nash. He's been kind to me as well. I sit next to him and Cameron. I lean my head on Nash's shoulder. We arrive at a large field. I look at Cameron. He pulls me out and I trail behind slowly.

Sitting on a large blanket is Madison. I laugh and look at Jack. I don't see why people think this is illegal. Yes, she just turned sixteen and yes, Jack is turning twenty, but they aren't having sex. He sits beside her and wraps an arm around her shoulders. I sit next to Johnson. They make jokes, but I don't feel like talking. I feel lonelier than ever.

"You okay?" Madison asks.

"oh, yeah. Don't worry about me," I say softly.

She nods knowing I won't speak about it. Suddenly a car pulls up, and out comes Nate, Sam and Nate's girlfriend. I look down and make room for them on the blanket.

"Nate, we shouldn't be here," Sam says as they approach us.

"Why not?"

I look up at him and he freezes. He forgot I came home. Not like it matters anyway. I stand up knowing there's no room for me to join them. I plead with Johnson to come with me. He nods, and takes my hand. We walk towards the swings of the park in silence.

"I shouldn't of come back."

"Hayden-"

"Jack. I have to escape the house everyday or resort to being stuck in my room. I thought I was over him."

Jack sighs as we sit on the swings. Looking at them laughing.

--

Sam dragged me with him, Nate and Elizabeth to a stupid party. She's the one who did my hair and makeup. I stand in a corner of the room. Wearing a floral blue lace dress, and black pumps.

My hair is braided in a fishtail styled one, and I have a smokey eye look. I feel like a whore. She's kinder than I thought, Nate's girlfriend. I only hate her because she has him. They all laugh with their friends. I roll my eyes.

"Well hello, beautiful," a voice says from behind me.

I look and see a tall boy with black hair, blue eyes, gauges, and snake bites.

"Hi," I whisper.

"Sorry, I'm not trying to make you uncomfortable. I'm Jude. You know Nate, right?"

I laugh lightly.

"You could say that."

"What's you're name," he asks curiously.

"Hayden."

"Oh, you're the one he always talks about."

I look at him questioningly. Jude leads me away from corner and pulls me to the circle. I groan and he only laughs. Nate and Sam join in the circle. I sigh and listen. Sam says I'm not to be asked anything, but I can be used as a "prop". Great. My brother's drunk.

The night carries on slowly. I've got to be the designated driver.

"You're not a party person," Jude whispers.

"Nope. They dragged me here to be the designated driver since I don't drink. Nate's girlfriend is pretty drunk right now."

Jude laughs, and announces we're leaving. Many people wave is off as I follow him outside to the bonfire that people left. We sit down by it.

"It was a pretty dick move to cheat on you."

"Were you at the party?"

He nods.

"I pulled him away from Nash before he killed him."

I shrug. I feel his hand lay on my thigh. I look up at him. It's not weird, actually. Jude leans down and kisses me softly. I kiss back. Not worried that Nate will kill someone for kissing me when we aren't together. Jude is kind to me. We pull away and I blush.

"I'm sorry, Hayden-"

"Jude!" I hear Nate yell.

We look back at him. Jude stands and so do I.

"Nate, are you really jealous when you have a girlfriend inside? Hayden isn't your property. She's not your girlfriend. Don't try to punch me."

I look at him. He's ignored me for a month. His eyes go to me. I haven't done a thing wrong.

"Why'd you come back anyway?" He snaps, "We were all happy without you here to bother us."

With that Nate storms off and tears brim my eyes. Jude turns and looks at me. He takes my hand and I look up at him through my blurring tears.

"Come on, I'll bring you home," Jude says softly.

He takes my hand and brings me to his car. He opens the passenger door for me and I smile. Once I get in and he shuts the door, Nate comes storming out of the house. My eyes widen and I step out.

"Nate, stop," I plead, stepping in between them before he punches someone.

He looks at me and all I see is hatred.

"Nate, what the hell!" Elizabeth says running to her boyfriend.

I step back, running into Jude in the process. He looks down at her, as she cups his face in her hands. She looks so in love with him. They speak in low voices before they both leave. Jude reopens the door for me, and let's me sit down before shutting it and getting in himself.

The ride home was silent. He's jealous that I'm actually talking with other males? Childish bastard. We reach my house and I get out of his car. Feeling ridiculous in my clothes.

"Hayden, wait," Jude says walking closer to me, "Would you go on a date with me?"

I blush and nod. He smiles triumphantly before taking my hand and kissing it, before leaving. I smile to myself and unlock the door. Once I get inside I go up to my room and change out of my clothes, taking off my pumps and going to remove my makeup.

I leave my hair up and I put on a pair of shorts and a baggy tank top. I sigh walking out of my room and going to the living room.

--

"He fucking kissed her, Sam! They don't even know each other!" Nate screams causing me to wake up.

I sit up and look at them. Nate looks over at me. Sam goes upstairs as he walks towards me.

"Go to bed, Nate."

"No, Hayden. I can't stand the thought of you with anyone else."

"I don't care. You have a girlfriend. You don't get a choice anymore."