Aftertaste: Chapter Seven

Hayden's POV:

"Let me speak with her!"

"Jude. You don't know how many times Nate has hurt her in that way. If you don't want him knowing and him beating the shit out of you, go now," Jack begs.

I look at Jude. I can see how red his eyes are. I walk down the stairs and lean against the wall behind Jack. Jude looks at me.

"Hayden, please-"

"Jude just go. Nate was right, so was Sam. You hurt me and cheated on me. I can't let you do that anymore."

Jude pushes Jack aside. I shake my head at Jack.

"Jude stop crying over the mistake you made!"

"What's going on?" Nate asks.

Jude stiffens.

"Just go, Jude."

He leaves slamming the door behind him. Nate looks at me.

"What did he do?"

"It's not important, Nate."

"Hayden!"

"No, I'm not telling you," I yell as Jack leaves the room.

Tears blur my vision as I sink down the wall.

"What did Jude do?"

"He cheated on me. Don't go over there, it won't help. Please, Nate. Just be with Elizabeth. I'm fine."

He nods and goes back upstairs. I watch as Jude leaves. I was stupid to believe it would last. I sigh and go to my room to find Jack sitting on my bed.

"You know, Nate may break up with Elizabeth for you."

"Yeah."

Nate's POV:

His heart shattered knowing that the person Hayden loved the most cheated on her. Nate wasn't perfect, but he knew the pain Jude felt when hearing her whispered voice calling out to him. She didn't want him to hurt Jude. Nate wanted nothing more than for her to trust him again, and if the fighting stops for it to happen, then so be it.

Nate knew who caused the whole thing, too. Natalie was always responsible.

"Hey, Elizabeth-"

"Nate, I think we should break up. Sorry, this isn't working."

Nate nods and watches her leave. It didn't hurt as much as he thought it would. Nate looks in Hayden's room to see Jack holding her as she lies on her bed silently crying.

"Yo! Jack, Nate!" Gilinsky yells.

"no go away," Hayden whispers.

Several footsteps come upstairs. Jack, Nash, Cam, Sam, Kenny, and Jake look at Nate. Johnson comes out of the room and shuts the door.

"Kenny, Jake go downstairs," Sam says.

The two nod and once they do, Sam crosses his arms demanding an explanation.

"Jude cheated on Hayden. More than likely with Natalie. Don't try to beat him up, she doesn't want drama," Jack says for Nate, "Nate, she wants to see you."

He nods and watches as the others go downstairs. Nate opens the door and looks at her. He shuts the door and sits beside the girl.

"Why do people keep hurting me?"

"Because people are idiots, and they don't realize what they have until it's too late."

Hayden looks at Nate and leans her head on his shoulder. Nate takes her hand in his and pulls her to him.

"I hate that I hurt you, and I dated Elizabeth to try to see if I could get over you. I can't."

"Really?"

Nate nods. She giggles softly. Nate pulls her to lie down. He allows her to get under the covers and then he lies down and pulls her to his chest.

•••

Cameron's POV:

The boys sneak back upstairs to see what's happening. They haven't fought which is the first time in a long time. Cameron knows why. Nate wants her back, and he'll do anything to show to her that he can be a trustworthy boyfriend. Sam grabs a camera before the open the door quietly. Cameron is the last one in the room. He looks at them.

Hayden looks so happy in his embrace. Sam took a few pictures before putting the camera away. They leave before they know that they snuck in.

Hayden's POV:

"Stop being lazy, Hayden!" My mother tells causing me to cry.

"I-"

She hits me hard causing me to bite my lip.

"Stop screwing up, Hayden!" She yells, as she grips my wrist with the fresh cuts causing me to cry out, "If you keep doing this just cut straight down your fucking arm! After everything I do for you? This is how you repay me!"

"I'm sorry."

I see Sam smirking at me. She pushes me to get on the bus with him. I run past him to get to my seat. Once I sit down and he gets down, everything goes downhill. We arrive to school minutes later, and I'm thrown onto the cement.

"Hey, get up freak!" I hear Gilinsky laugh.

I don't move. Nothing I do ever stops the abuse. It follows me home. I feel someone kick my stomach hard. I look up at Nathan. He and Sam attack me.

"You cut again? When are you gonna finally end it?" Sam yells and laughs.

They finally scatter. I grab my backpack and look around. No one sees my bloody face as I race to the bathroom to clean myself up. Once I do I see people staring. I make my way to the nurses office. She looks at me and nods. Allowing me to lay down. She puts a guard up and leaves to get my homework and class work.

I pull out a blanket from the shelf and put it on me. Allowing myself to lay there in pain.

I sit up and scream. Covering my mouth. Nate sits up quickly.

"Hey, hey it was just a drea-"

"No it wasn't, Nate. It was from ninth grade-"

He pulls me in his grip, and holds me as my door opens.

"It's midnight what's with the screams?" Johnson asks softly.

"Memories," I whisper looking at him.

"Nate, I know how to help her. Go back to your room."

He nods and kisses my forehead. Jack shuts the door and comes to sit on my bed.

"They're memories, Hayden. You don't have to live through them ever again."

I nod and lie back down. Jack turns on my "Christmas lights" that hang on my wall. He shuts the door and I lay back down.