Chapter Two

Hayden's POV:

"What the fuck?", Sam says.

I move away from his best friend. Nate wasn't supposed to know, no one is supposed to know about this because Sam is so ashamed, and angry still. Nate looks between us and sighs, acting like he knows what Sam is talking about. Nate doesn't understand the pain I'm going to endure because of this, because someone knows we live together. 

"Sam, chill. She was tutoring me. I'm leaving."

Sam continues to glare at me with absolute hate in his eyes. My eyes follow Nate as he leaves, and he winks at me before leaving. Nate opens the door and hesitates for a moment before he slams the door shut. Sam quickly slams me hard against the wall when he hears Nate's car pull away. His hand wraps around my throat, with his face only inches away from mine. 

"What happened?" Sam asks, referencing our deal of not speaking about being step-siblings. 

"Nothing happened, you prick! Hurt me all you like, but Nate doesn't know, and nothing happened at all."

Sam continues to glare at me before he lets go of my throat and slaps my cheek hard. The heat radiates off my face, and tears begin to well up in my eyes. Immediately after, the door opens and my mother and his father come inside with their suitcases. 

"Sam, Hayden, what is going on?" Mother asks, looking worried. 

I put my wall up, and act neutral. 

"There's nothing wrong, mother. We were just talking."

I walk into the living room and grab my things before I run upstairs, with Sam running closely behind me. 

"Sam come down here now!", his father yells.

I turn and look at him as I hurry to my room. 

"I'm not done with you." He spits before walking back downstairs. 

Instead of going to my room, I go to the banister and listen to him talk. Though, I can't hear anything.  His father treats me like an only child like I can't do anything wrong. He's the father figure I needed in my life. Which is saying something, since my father walked out on us almost five years ago. 

"Hayden!",  Sam's dad calls. 

I shut my eyes and walk down the stairs. I was caught and he was probably going to scold me. 

"Sam", his dad says, making Sam glare at me with hatred in his eyes. 

He's the only one that knows Sam hates me. Though, he doesn't know that Sam hits me, and bullies me and that his friends have come close to raping me at his parties. I had no time to cover up the growing bruise from just before they walked in. I look away and cover my face, so he doesn't see it. 

"Apologize", Mr. Wilkinson says.

"I'm-"

"Please don't say you're sorry because you so are not," I say softly. 

I race up the steps and slam my bedroom door shut, hoping to avoid Sam. I attempt to lock it, only to have Sam open it shortly afterward. Sam shuts it behind himself before successfully locking the door. 

"What happened between you and Nate?" he demands. 

"Like I said, nothing. Nate told me about his crush, but I don't feel the same."

Sam pushes me to the wall. 

"Yeah, but Nate likes you. I don't see why. You're not special," he laughs.