Aftertaste; Chapter Thirty-Four

Cameron cancelled our date, and I haven't seen him since the incident besides in therapy. We talked more, but he hasn't talked to me outside of it. I got the restraining order, but Jack made me move out. Madison, my best friend, blocked me out of her life cause I was out of line, and Johnson? He couldn't do a thing to help. I've been crashing at Libby and Katie's house, and they took Jude's side.

Taylor comes over, but I don't talk to him. My own brother, he blocked me from his life and so did his father. So I sit on the couch, curled in a ball as I wait for some contact, but somehow, Jude got everyone to turn on me.

It was partially my fault, but everything I said wasn't a lie."

There's a soft knock on the door. I get up and walk over only to see Cameron standing there.

"You didn't go this morning?"

"There's no point anymore. I stood up for myself and ruined everything."

"Baby-"

"Don't, Cam. Don't pretend that you want to try anymore."

He looks at me.

"Come home."

"No, I think I'll move to Wisconsin."

"Don't leave."

I look at him.

"I have no life here."

"You have me, you have Madison and Libby and Katie! You have Taylor who is trying to help!"

"I just have you and Taylor. Madison won't talk to me, and Libby and Katie sided with Jude. I'm here on a technicalit-"

Cameron kisses me hard. He cups my face and brings me close to his body. I pull away. He comes in and gathers my suitcase of clothes. I look at him. We leave the house as everyone else comes in. I look away and suddenly, I'm pulled to someone.

"Change your name."

I look at Sam.

"Okay."

Everyone looks at me.

"I'm sorry, Sammy."

Cam grabs my hand. Madison looks at me. I've never been more embarrassed. Johnson and Taylor join us.

"No, you guys."

"Hayden."

"No."

"Cam, talk to her."

We wait till everyone gets inside and he looks at the two. I get in the car and listen.

"Hayden is gonna move. She's gonna leave."

"You can't let her go," Johnson says, "I won't let you. She needs you."

"I broke her, Jack! How can I help her?"

"Because everything she said was true, we know that."

"Maybe, but her family has disowned her."

"Then let us stay."

The front door opens and Madison comes running out.

"Lets go."

Everyone gets in and Cameron gets in beside me. I once again, cannot face any of them.

"Madison-"

"No, Jack. He's talking shit about her."

We drive to Cameron's house and the three get out, but I can find the will to move.