Aftertaste: Chapter Twenty-Eight

Hayden:

They keep calling me over and over again. Sam and my mother split. My mother left and left me here, not even saying goodbye.

"You should go back," he says.

"Cameron and Nate made it clear that I'm not wanted in California anymore."

He sits next to me and looks at my wrists.

"Do you know how strong you are?"

"Not very. I run from my problems and I used to cut myself to get away."

"But you stopped. You build on that, and I've never seen anything stop you."

"I'll be moving out soon. I'm gonna visit my dads' grave and maybe just leave the country."

"Why?"

"To start over. To not deal with my past."

"I bet you, Cameron is still in love with you."

"He is, I saw how it hurt him. I can't go back to that drama."

"What about Sam?"

"He left me and didn't care until he found out I was gone."

He nods and leaves. I unblock Mads and message her.

I'm sorry I hurt you. Please forgive me, but I'm not coming home.

She reads it.

What about Cameron? He's fighting for you.

I can't go back.

She doesn't reply and I continue to pack. There's a soft knock at the door before it opens.

"I'm leaving tomorrow, okay?"

"Where you going?" Cameron asks, sitting beside me.

"Go away, Cameron. You can't win me back."

"I know. I'm sorry that I kept you there in California when it was obvious you wanted to go."

"You knew?"

He nods.

"That's why I broke up with you. I didn't believe Nash. I know you care for others too much."

"I'm going to Australia. Don't tell them. I'm starting over, and I'm not looking back."

"Hayden-"

I look at him.

"You'll do amazing things and forget about us- Jude, me, Sam and Nate. Even Nash. You won't know who we are in five years and you will be okay. I'll fight for you, but I know you won't come back."

"Cameron-"

"You need to do for yourself. I won't tell them where you're going, and I'll forget," he says with his voice cracking, "I'll forget I loved you no matter what you thought."

"Cameron-"

He hands me a ticket for Australia.

"Just tell me when you land."

"Am I welcomed back if I can't find what I want?"

He nods and kisses my head before leaving.

••••

The air was cool when I landed, and I look around Sydney. I go to my hotel and get the key before going to my room and setting my things down.

Cam, I just got to the hotel.

No reply came, but I know he's asleep. While Sydney had many things to explore, I sit in my room. I'll find some place to work, with my teaching degree, and then get a house. I won't be fun here. I sigh and change into a black tank top with a white pocket on my left breast, white skinny jeans, a green cardigan, and black converse. I grab my phone and money to get it turned into Australian dollars.

I lock the door and leave the hotel to find some back. People look at me, knowing I'm a foreigner.