Aftertaste; Chapter Three

Hayden's POV:

I run over to Nate and lean above him.

"Nate," I whisper.

Elizabeth pushes through the crowd and pushes me away to help him up. I look at Jude and he shrugs. The two of us walk back to the fire and sit on the bench located just beside it.

Nate was hurt and I actually tried to help him. I lay my head on Jude's shoulder as the party roars on. The others join us along with Nate and Elizabeth. I roll my eyes, and feel Jude's grip tighten on me. I don't blame him.

"What sort of fun games shall we play?" Nash mocked and looked at me.

"None," Cameron and Jude almost spit at him.

I shift uncomfortably in Jude's grip. Nate was glaring at the two of us, and I knew Sam was sober enough not to let me out of his sight. I'm stuck here.

"Jude, I think it's time you left," Sam says.

I glare at him.

"Then I'm leaving, too, Sam. Stop sparing Nate's feelings."

I follow Jude from the backyard, only to be pulled back by Cameron.

"Don't leave, Hayden."

"Cam-"

Jude looks at me. I pull from Cameron's grasp and follow Jude from the backyard.

"Nate, don't follow them-"

Just as we reached Jude's car, I'm harshly pulled back and away from him.

"Let me go, Nate!"

"You're not leaving, Hayden. That's final."

I push him off of me.

"You're not my boyfriend anymore! Leave me alone!"

No one was in the front yard but us. It made me sick to think about. Nate throws me aside and punches Jude in the jaw.

"Nate, don't!"

I try to pull him away, but get knocked out in the process.

Nate's POV:

"Hayden!" Jude yells as Nate pulls away from him.

Nate's eyes widen. He didn't try to hit her, but when it finally hit him. He bent down trying to help.

"Why do you believe that I'm going to hurt her? I won't cheat on her like you have. I won't insult her."

Jude picks her up bridal style and Cameron runs to the front yard.

"What happened?"

"Nate hit her. Tell Sam I'm taking her to my house for the night."

Cameron nods and looks at Nate. He feels like shit knowing that she'll never trust him again.

Hayden's POV:

I wake up in an unfamiliar room and my head's pounding. The last thing I remember is being hit in the face with Nate's elbow.

"Jude?" I call out.

The bedroom door opens and he turns on the lamp.

"You okay, Hayden?" He asks me and sits beside me.

"Yeah," I whisper, "Do you have any Advil?"

He nods and hands me some. I thank him and follow him to the kitchen for some water. Once I take the pills Jude places me on the island in the kitchen and walks in between my legs. Still taller than me by a lot.