Chapter One

Hayden's POV:

You never realize how insignificant you are until your friends abandon you, and everyone forgets that you exist. With music and writing being my only escape from the real world, I'm soon forced to learn how much I am hated.

My parents are never around anymore, so I live in a giant house, with maids and nannies who ignore me. The one person who I want to admire me, not only hates my guts but he acts like I'm not even alive.

Though, it's hard to act surprised that anyone would like me. I sit in class blasting music in my ears. My teachers gave up, as they know I understand and learn things this way. I can feel eyes on the back of my head, making me feel as if someone is watching me intently. When I look over I see him. Nate. The one who gives me butterflies, and acts like I'm worthless.My teacher hands me a sheet. I look at it and see the words sprawled across it.

You're tutoring Mr. Maloley.

My heart skipped at the chance to talk to him, but then I realized the hell he'll put me through. The bell rang signaling the end of the day. I stand from my seat, gathering my books, laptop, and notebook before I attempt to leave. Instead, Nate pulls me back, making me stay behind as the other students exit our class. It's obvious he doesn't want to feel embarrassed for having to be tutored by me.

"I'll come by later. Don't tell Sam or the Jacks."

"Whatever, Nate. I never wanted to tutor you anyway. So fuck off."

I push past him and go to my locker. I hear him join his friends down the hall from me. Silently, I grab the rest of my textbooks and slam the locker door shut. Once I leave school, I walk over to my car and unlock it. Once I open the door to set my backpack and books in the back seat, the car door slams shut. A sigh escapes my lips as I look up and see Sam Wilkinson, Nate's best friend, and my biggest bully.

"What the fuck do you want?" I say, crossing my arms, and glaring at him. 

"I want you to leave my friend alone."

"Oh trust me if Nate was the last person on the planet with me. I'd kill him. So fuck off, Wilkinson."

Sam attempts to grab my arm so he can punch me, and out of everything, as Nate walks up, he stops. 

"It's a waste, Sammy."

I force my arm out of Sam's grip, causing him to glare at me. This time, when I open my door, I'm able to get inside. I start my car and drive off to my house. My thoughts remind me that Nate doesn't, and cannot care. I shouldn't care either. Once I arrive home, I shut off my car, grab my items from the back of my car, and go inside. My parents still aren't home, leaving me the freedom of having the house to myself. Almost ten or so minutes later, the doorbell rings. As I stand up to answer, a maid has already done that. 

"Hayden, there is someone here for you!" Amber calls. 

I sigh and walk to the foyer from the kitchen. When I see Nate, my heart begins to beat faster. 

"Hi, Nate," I say.

"Hayden."

Once Amber retreats to the kitchen to clean, and begin making dinner, I lead him further inside, but he stops me. 

"Why does Sammy bully you?"

I stare at him. Why would he ask me that? Nate has helped Sam bully me the whole time. I've been nothing, but a punching bag to them my entire life. Nate raises his eyebrow in question, and I sigh. 

"He doesn't. He doesn't like me, and neither do you. Can we go into the living room so I can get this done and over with?"

"Who says I don't?" Nate asks, grabbing my hand gently. 

I glare and rip my hand from his grasp. 

"You did! You prick! You and everyone else hate me, and I don't know why! My life is hell, Nate. I haven't seen my parents for more than ten minutes in the last year! I FaceTimed my mom last night, and she said I probably wouldn't see them at least for another week. So, tell me, why do you hate me?"

"I don't, Hayden! Okay! I have to act like it!"

"What?" I whisper. 

Nate looks at me apologetically. Of course, Sam is forcing him to act like this. He's hated me since middle school when his mom left to start a new family when he and I were best friends. 

"Sam threatens to hurt you if I try to talk to you, or if I say I like you."

Nate looks at me. Does Sam threaten him for having a crush on me? 

I ignore his comment and try to lead him to my living room. Nate doesn't move, and he pulls me back to him. When I turn, he pulls me close and kisses me. My eyes stay open, as I kiss him in shock. I pull away, and Nate looks at me.

"Hayden..."

"Let's go so I can tutor you. Please." I whisper. 

"You don't need to. I understand it. I failed so I could get close to you."

My heart skipped at the thought that maybe something could happen. Sam would hurt both of us, though. I can't get close to him so that I can protect my heart. 

"I'm sorry, Nate, but you need to leave. 

Nate sighs and nods sadly. Before he can move, the door opens, and there's Sam. My step-brother.