14|REBIRTH

"Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace. We begin with a series of micro-injections into the subjects major muscle groups. The serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. And then to stimulate growth, the subject will be saturated with vita rays."

Erskine proceeded with his plan. Ally sat next to Steve, holding his hand as a nurse gave him a shot of penicillin. His face said it all, the needle of pain killing medicine hurt him more than he thought. "That wasn't so bad."

"That was penicillin," Erskine looked up from his machine, shaking his head. "Doctor Jones, it is time to step away from Steven."

"Yes sir," Ally obliged, squeezing Steve's shoulder. "I'm right here Rogers." she stepped back, letting the nurses and scientists hook him up to a machine she had no reason to doubt. The green capsule closed over his scrawny face and his lopsided smile had disappeared.

Erskine tapped on the small glass window. "Steven, can you hear me?"

"It's probably too late to go to the bathroom right?"

Ally's face twisted into a silly smile and she chuckled. "Try and hold it in."

"I'll try, no promises."

A funny smile appeared on the older man's lips as he walked away from Steve. "We will proceed." Erskine nodded his head at Howard.

Ally held her breath as she took a few steps back, toying with the piece of paper Erskine had given her as Howard began to flick a few switches, causing the capsule to glow with bright lights.

"That's ten percent," Howard announced, turning the nozzle. "Twenty percent...thirty percent...thirty...forty...fifty percent."

"Vital sounds are normal."

"Sixty...seventy."

A thunderous yell erupted from within the capsule and Ally immediately jumped to her feet. Ignoring the warnings, she started tapping on the glass. "Steve? Steve?" she tapped once more, shutting her eyes to stop the blinding light. "He isn't responding!"

Alarmed, Peggy ran out of the safe room and started to demand they shut it down.

"Kill the reactors!" Erskine shouted as Ally stepped back, rubbing her eyes. "Kill the reactors!"

"No!" Steve shouted, silencing everyone's panic. "No, I can do this!"

Ally waited a second, looking up at Peggy who seemed uneasy. Erskine was prepared to shut it down but changed his mind after hearing the bravery in Steve's voice.

"Eighty...ninety..." Howard continued. "That's one hundred percent!"

Golden sparks had begun to fly out of the machines. Their intense bursts illuminated the room, causing everyone to turn away or cover their eyes. The broken fuse stopped the capsule from working and there was nothing but silence as the capsule opened.

Steve looked like a god.

Reluctantly, Steve fell out of the capsule. He looked completely dazed and confused. Together, Howard, Ally and Erskine went to catch him. "Yup, yup, I think we did it."

Ally handed him his shirt, watching as Peggy went to go confront him. She awkwardly reached out and touched his chest, causing Ally to smirk. "How do you feel?"

Breathing heavily, Steve replied. "Taller."

"You look taller."

"You're taller than me now Rogers," Ally touched his shoulder. "I can't believe it worked."

"This is–"

Suddenly an explosion went off and everyone was knocked off their feet. Ally felt her head smash against broken glass and the sudden surge of agony go through her. She began to recover her footing, immediately feeling the need to make sure Steve was safe. Still, she had no idea what just happened.

A man, whom Ally speculated as a HYRDA agent, rushed over to Erskine's formula and picked up the last vile.

"Stop him!"

The HYRDA agent turned around and fired three bullets into Erskine's chest, leaving him stunned. Steve and Ally pushed past everyone and looked down at him, Ally felt tears swarm in her eyes. As they cowered over the doctor, Erskine had raised his finger and pointed at Steve's chest and then to the piece of paper he had given Ally.

Steve looked up at the direction the agent had run off in and without needing to look back, he heard Ally say. "Go get him."

She watched as Steve took off running, her hand tightened around the piece of paper. She soon felt Jojo's arms wrap around her and an undeniably loud sigh of relief escape her sister's lips. "I thought he had shot you when I first saw what happened."

"I'm fine," she muttered, watching Erskine's dead body, hoping that if she stared long enough, it'd move. However, she clearly wasn't fine. Her eyes flooded with tears and her lip was puckered out. She kept repeating herself, thinking that if she said it enough, she'd actually be okay. "I'm fine."

"You're bleeding," Jojo lightly touched the wound on Ally's head. "Let's get you cleaned up."

"I said I'm fine."

Jojo stepped away from her sister, knowing not to push. "What's in your hand?"

"Just some journal notes," she told her uneasily. "And a letter to Bucky."

"I can take the letter and mail it out," Jojo offered, watching as everyone got ahold of themselves. Ally agreed, handing the letter to her sister. "It's safe with me."

Ally watched as her sister walked away, feeling pathetic.

There was nothing left to do. She gazed around room with it's white walls and broken glass. Only a few places remained untouched by the bomb. With the eyes that had seen too much, she let her eyes linger out to the nurses she should be helping, but something wasn't right. She knew one of her bright lights had gone out.

She then proceeded to unwrap the crumbled piece of paper. It was nothing but a bunch of scribbles and pictures, a piece of trashy art people would usually just throw away. Her eyes scanned over the numerous letters and numbers until she was able to figure out what it was.

It was the super soldier serum formula.

"I'm fine," she muttered, watching Erskine's dead body, hoping that if she stared long enough, it'd move

"I'm fine," she muttered, watching Erskine's dead body, hoping that if she stared long enough, it'd move. However, she clearly wasn't fine. Her eyes flooded with tears and her lip was puckered out. She kept repeating herself, thinking that if she said it enough, she'd actually be okay. "I'm fine."