22|RISE

Ally watched as the raindrops fell against the glass window of the hospital window. The rain fell softly as if it knew of the hardships both behind and ahead. She watched with such interest, thinking that the rain could pull her away from the pain of the past and the uncertainty of what was to come. She raised her eyes to the sky and admired the grey layer that touched every rooftop, there was more to come before the skies cleared, of that she could be sure.

She had been on and off, wide awake or asleep for the past few days. When the words would not come, the tears did. The mourning wasn't over nor was it going to be for a very long time. She was completely numb in the worst way possible.

Jojo had called the hospital, in a desperate attempt to reach her sister. It was the second worst thing Ally had to bare that week.

"Is it true?" Jojo had whispered through the line, barely audible. Ally had wondered if she was whispering because Adam was asleep or if she was afraid that the truth would be too loud.

Ally hadn't spoken much since the death of her family so when she spoke, her voice was cracky, strained and weak. "Yes."

There was a long pause on the other side of the line. Ally could feel her sister's heartbreak though she couldn't actually see her. Jojo had said nothing for what seemed like eternity, unable to cope with the news. Eventually, they just wept on the phone together until there were no more tears to cry.

Now, she watched as the rain soaked the ground. The funeral was today but she wasn't sure she had enough strength to see them. Jojo, William and Adam had flown down from Queens to attend but Ally wasn't sure she'd be making an appearance. All the apologies coming from people who she barely knew or the pathetic attempts of speeches about how wonderful they were, she just couldn't deal with it.

Bucky eventually persuaded her into attending, with the help of Steve. It took multiple hours to get her into a simple black dress and comb her knotted hair but she eventually looked like she had slept a full night. She still didn't say much, even to Bucky. She knew it wasn't his fault and she wanted him to wipe her tears but she couldn't bring herself to speak more than a few words.

The service was beautiful in every way possible. Many people spoke about Kepler's humour or Nico's creativity. People she didn't even know had many words to say about her father and mother. Steve wrote an incredible piece of literature about the kindness the Jones' had shown him. William read the eulogy while Jojo constantly wiped the tears running down her cheeks. Jojo didn't look any better than Ally but at least she was talking.

When they buried the caskets, Ally snapped. After holding a straight face for most of the funeral, she finally started sobbing once more. Bucky kept his arm around her waist as she cried into his shoulder. Many scientists, doctors, agent and soldiers attended the funeral, including Peter and his wife Lacy.

When everyone cleared from the graveyard, Ally and Bucky were left alone. At this point, she wasn't sure what she was doing. It was more than crying, it was something that came from a person drained of all hope. She sank to her knees in front of the four graves, not caring about the damp mud that dirtied her black dress. She was wailing at this point and at her side was Bucky, struggling to keep his tears silent, looking up to the skies and heavens beyond. He had to believe her family was somewhere up there.

"Come on," he whispered. "Let's go somewhere."

"I don't want to leave them," she shuddered. "It's so dark in those caskets...Nico was always so scared of the dark."

"Ally," he tried once more, kneeling down beside her. "It's getting dark."

"We need to get something from my house before we leave," she said, still looking at the gravestones. "Before we go back to yours."

"Anything."

"I want my sword."

Bucky was surprised when she said this, not expecting her to want to have what brought her such grief in her possession once more. The sword that nicknamed her Captain America's sidekick. He didn't say what he was thinking, he just nodded. "Of course."

Ally took a final look at the gravestones before wiping her eyes and taking a deep breath. She pushed herself up and took Bucky's hand in hers, kissing his cheek. "I'm going to do it."

"Do what?" Bucky questioned, unsure of what she meant.

"I'm going to be the SSR's female face of the war," she glanced back at Nico's grave. "I'm going to take down HYDRA with you and Steve."

She swung her sword into the trunk of the tree, slicing it in half from her immense strength. Ally then proceeded to thrash around while she flawlessly dodged a punch from Bucky, who agreed to help her train.

"Over a year ago, the idea of you being able to kick my ass didn't seem possible." He explained, trying to raise her spirits.

"I could always kick your ass Buck," she defended, ducking as he tried to hit her face. "Now I just have the ability to win."

Bucky smiled softly, happy to see her slightly joking around despite the funeral a few hours ago. "Stark said he was going to make you a suit made of metal so the bullets don't harm you."

"Great," Ally replied unenthusiastically, trying to take another swipe at Bucky's stomach. "Captain America's sidekick," she rolled her eyes. "I'm my own damn sidekick."

"That's what I like to hear," Bucky grinned before getting nailed in the gut and toppling over. "Ow!"

"Oh my gosh!" Ally gasped. "I'm so sorry Bucky, I didn't mean to!" she leant over Bucky in attempt to soothe him but he simply grabbed Ally's arm and flipped her over, so they were both laying winded on the ground. She groaned in pain as she grabbed at her stomach. "Rude."

"Now you know what it feels like," Bucky teased, propping himself on one elbow. "What are you thinking about?"

"How badly I want to kick you," she told him nonchalantly. "Asshole."

"What are you really thinking Ally?" he asked once more, sounding concerned. "What are you hiding behind your warrior face?"

Ally frowned for a moment and her eyes trailed to the sky. "I'm thinking about how I want to cry and run away but I know I can't. The pain is just so unreal but if I keep running, I'll eventually end up completely alone."

"You've got me and Steve," he commented. "You've got Jojo, Peter, Quincy and William. Peggy and Stark too. Hell, you've got Adam and another niece or nephew on the way."

Ally's lips tugged up slightly. "I know I'm not alone."

"You never will be," he said to her, kissing her hand. "I promise."

There was a long pause on the other side of the line

There was a long pause on the other side of the line. Ally could feel her sister's heartbreak though she couldn't actually see her. Jojo had said nothing for what seemed like eternity, unable to cope with the news.