26|GOLD

The following morning was filled with Christmas cheer and even more thoughtful gifts. Christmas Carols were sung aloud, leftovers were distributed and Adam didn't shed one tear. Steve was praised for his five dollar bills and wrapped candy canes, even though he was beginning to wonder if he should maybe do a little more next year. When the presents ran out and the hot chocolate pot went dry, it was time to say goodbye.

Thankful for their friends, Jojo and William handed Steve and Bucky leftovers wrapped in old newspapers. Adam, who was too busy playing with his new toys, forgot to say goodbye to Uncle Bucky and Uncle Stevie. That didn't bother them though, they'd see Adam again eventually.

Ally handed Bucky her bags, dressed in her new periwinkle dress Jojo had gotten her. She laced up her padded satin boots, rolled down the sleeves to her jacket and bid her sister, brother-in-law and nephew farewell.

"Keep in touch alright?" Jojo mumbled, hugging Ally. "You're still my little sister, you hear?"

"I hear ya'," Ally smiled. "Take care of yourself Jojo."

"I will," she embraced her sister once more before stepping out of the doorway so Bucky, Steve and Ally could leave. "Bye boys."

The three of them walked away from the little apartment in Queens, knowing that the Christmas lights would be soon taken down and Christmas trees would soon become pine trees once more. Ally intertwined her fingers with Bucky's as they strolled down the street, watching as the neighbourhood lit up with Christmas morning. Strolling through the neighbourhood, they watched as people swarmed in and out of the bustling coffee shops and bakeries like bees. The warm smiles of the children receiving golden brown chestnuts in paper cones and snowballs flying everywhere reminded Ally when she was a child during the holiday season, and suddenly she became sad.

The energetic children laughing at their hot chocolate mustaches were followed by spirited laughter of adults, trying to keep up. Bucky and Steve watched excitedly, trying to keep a grip on all of Ally's bags she had brought to Queens. "Hey Steve, you think you can take all these bags and check them onto the train?"

"Sure thing," Steve said unexpectedly fast. "I'll be waiting at the station if you guys want to continue looking around."

Without Ally noticing, Bucky wrapped an arm around Steve and they grinned like school boys.

"If you insist," Ally turned around to see the two of them standing shoulder to shoulder. "What? What is it?"

"Nothing," Bucky shrugged. "See you later Steve."

"You're acting weird," she raised her eyebrow. "James Buchanan Barnes, what are you hiding from me?"

"Nothing," he repeated. "Is it that hard to believe that your boyfriend is up to nothing for once in his life?"

"Yes it is actually," she rolled her eyes. "Believe it or not, it's actually impossible."

"Ouch."

"Don't take it personally darling," she kissed his cheek. "It's just not in your mindset."

Bucky looked down at the ground, shaking his head. "You sure have a mouth on you."

"How long have you known me? Six years? And you're just noticing this now? I must say, I'm truly offended."

Bucky glanced over at Ally, his face trying to look as deadpan possible, yet he failed. There at the corner of his pink lips was a crease of amusement. "Come on, I want to show you something."

She put her hands on her hips. "What if I don't want to go?"

"I'll make you."

"You wouldn't dare."

Bucky looked up at the sky, debating whether or not he should pick her up and swing her over his shoulder or kiss that dominant grin off her face. After a moment of deciding, he went with his first option and flipped her over his shoulder.

"Bucky Barnes!" she squealed, hitting his back. "Put me down!"

"No can do doll," he trudged towards the small park he had passed by earlier, careful not to drop her. "Alright, I'm going to drop you in the snow now."

"Bucky I swear–"

"I'm kidding," he chuckled, placing her on the ground. "But you need to sit down for this part."

Ally sat on the nearby bench, crossing her legs as she watched Bucky unsurely.

"Listen doll, you only ever get to do this once and it's gotta be perfect," he scratched the back of his head. "Do you remember in '38 when we thought it'd be a good idea to go star gazing? You were uh– freshly eighteen I think, because it was a month after your birthday. Steve caught the flu but insisted we go on, poor kid couldn't catch a break. Well, when we laid out the blanket on the ground outside of the city, the first thing you did was name all the constellations, I couldn't keep my eyes off of you. Sure the stars are pretty but the way you talked about them with such passion– I knew I loved you after that. You've got this rare thing Ally, you can talk about something that is already so beautiful but make it sound like art. That's how I see you, you're like some kind of masterpiece to me. I wouldn't call you a perfect masterpiece because, well, you are very dramatic and emotional but I'd call you a loud masterpiece. Not so much loud as in the yelling kind of loud but the kind of loud that can influence people, the kind of loud that speaks for the quiet people, the kind of loud that saves people," Bucky planted one knee in the snow, fishing for a white box in his jacket pocket. "When we were naming all of our future kids last night, well, I realized how much I wanted a future with you. How badly I wanted to have five kids named Posy, Donny, Jessica, Katherine and Christopher. I promised you back in England when we were ambushed and I'm going to stay true to it, because I love you," he took a shaky breath in and opened the white box, revealing a gold ring. "Alchemy Sofia Jones, will you do me the honour of being your husband?"

"Yes," happiness flowed through her, warming her skin like the rays of an early summer sun. Her usual sarcastic grin exploded into a radiant smile that she had hadn't worn for a very long time. "Yes! Oh my god, yes, I'll marry you James Buchanan Barnes!"

He pressed his lips to hers and let out a laugh, resting his forehead against hers. "Things are going to get a lot better now Ally, I promise."

Ally nodded her head, believing him. Because it was true, she had him and he had her, for better or worse, till death due them part.

"How long have you known me? Six years? And you're just noticing this now? I must say, I'm truly offended

"How long have you known me? Six years? And you're just noticing this now? I must say, I'm truly offended."