Ch 61: Research

Damian :

It's been four days since I've left Moonlight now. After my argument with Ashley I had gone for a much needed run. I hadn't let Ian out for a while, so while he was in control I had got to thinking .
After talking to the group, we had come up with an idea. 
So here I was. On Tyler Bays front doorstep.
  It was currently midday, I had driven all night, Midnight territory was just on the border of Chris's lands. The pack members were walking around going about there business while I'll knocked loudly on the door hoping someone was in. The door opened seconds later, Ashleys uncle Tyler stood on the other side, broad and intimidating.
   "Damian, it's good to see you. Come on in." We shook hands as he led me inside. "I have to say I was very surprised when you called me to set up a meeting with my father. I didn't know you two knew each other.
  "We don't." I replied while he sent me a confused glance over his shoulder "This is just a very urgent matter."
  Tyler opened up a mahogany door to reveal a large office where Bryan Bay sat behind a large desk. This was Ashley's grandfather.
He had graying hair but still made quite an intimidating figure.
  He stood up and extended his hand.
"So you're the young man who inpregnated my granddaughter and rejected her huh." I winced as he tightened his hold on my hand.
    "Yes sir ..?" I rubbed the back of my head awkwardly.

    "You have a few loose screws in that head of yours ?" He asked with a curiously raised eyebrow, before letting my abused hand go.
"At the time I believe so sir."
     He let out a soft chuckle before sitting down.
"Sit young man and tell me why you wanted so desperately to meet with me."
I sat down while Alpha Tyler leaned against the door curiosity.
  Bryan watched me like a hawk, making me uncomfortable.
"Any day now."
  I cleared my throat as I forced the words out.
"I'll just get straight to the point. You were mated to Samathas mother Sarah, correct ?"
   His brows immediately pulled down in a frown but he nodded.
"While you were mated did Sarah ever tell you about the curse that was placed on her bloodline ?"
His frown deepened .
"The Johnson's curse. Yes, she told me."
    "What's the Johnson curse ?" Tyler asked in confusion.
Bryan cleared his throat before speaking.
"Your mothers grandmother several times removed was cursed by a jealous witch, the curse states that any female born of the Johnson bloodline must find their mate before the age of 20 or they ...."
"Die." I finished.

" I actually hadn't thought of this for a very long time . "
"Is there a possibility that there was documentation left behind ?" I asked. "Did Sarah leave any journals behind or anything  ?"
"Actually she did. When we were first mated she brought them with her here. Follow me."
    We followed silently as Bryan led us to a library with shelves overflowing with books. He walked over to an old portrait of a woman who looked exactly like Samantha. This must be Sarah.
   "My first mate." Bryan caressed the portrait before letting out a sad sigh "She truly was an amazing woman."
He slid the portrait to the side to reveal a hidden vault, in which he put in the combination.
    He pulled out several books and placed them on a nearby table before closing the vault and putting the portrait back in place.
"These are the journals of the Johnson women. The curse goes back seven generations beginning with -" he searched through the books to find a brown leather clad journal. "Mariabelle Johnson."
      1876 was stamped in red on the bottom right corner .
"If I may inquire, this curse doesn't still stand for Ashley. Chris says that you two are making progress, that you should be mated soon."
I looked up confused and he let out a loud chuckle.
    "I still keep tabs on my grandchild end even if I'm not around much." The smile left his lips "Is Chris incorrect ?"
I contemplated whether I should disclose my personal information with him but eventually gave in.
He did after all show me the journals that may contain the answer to ending this curse.

    "I'm afraid so sir-"
"Bryan will do."
I nodded.
"Bryan, things between your granddaughter and I aren't improving much. I've made my mistakes, and I've been trying to make up for them. But she's moved on with someone else..."
   "You two are destined to be mates, it will happen." He said with conviction.
"I'm not so sure. She hasn't forgiven me yet for what I've done."
He gave me a tender smile.
"That's the thing with hearts, you can break them so many times but yet they still have the capacity to forgive." He laid his hand on my shoulder "Do you need help to read these or do you prefer to do it alone ?"
   "Alone, if you don't mind."
"Sure thing. I'll have my wife bring you some dinner. Take all the time you need."
I watched as Tyler and Bryan left, a deep frowns on their faces. Bryan would explain things to him.
   I sat down at a table and opened up the weathered down journal. The pages were yellowed with age and the writing was fading somewhat, but I could make out the elegant cursive.