Chapter 21: Introduction

Ashley:

The drive back was awkward and so silent that I swore I could hear someone blink.

I sat behind Dante, my eyes kept straying to Damian who had his chair leaned back, his arms crossed behind his head.

His eyes were closed, his breathing even. I assumed he was sleeping as peaceful as a baby, happy about getting under my skin.

My eyes once again strayed to his arms. His white v shirt stretched taught against his bulging muscles. I was just itching to reach over and lay my hand against his warm skin.

With some restraint I forced my eyes away from him.

He seemed to be in a very bad mood lately.

He was being bipolar, one minute we seed to be okay and the next he hated my guts. It was if he couldn't make up his mind.

Of what I wasn't sure.

A little part of me had hoped that maybe he did care for me after all when he got upset in my uncles study. I know it had been stupid but I had hoped. Now I knew he didn't care at all, he was just going to continue to be an ass to me.

To keep rubbing all those girls in my face, while he enjoyed his life being a bachelor.

I sighed deeply and looked out the tinted window to the trees passing by.
"What's bothering you, Ashley?" Dante mind linked me.

My eyes strayed to the back of Dante's head in the drivers seat.

His brown head was barely visible above the seat headrest.

My thoughts flashed back to a few hours ago.

Dante had taken me to a pond where we sat dipping our feet in the water.

A still calmness seemed to come over me and everything just flowed out of me.

I told him about my situation with Damian and that I didn't know what to do. I told him how much I wanted to be with him but that Damian much prefered being single and fooling around. He just listened and for that I was grateful.

He told me about his life here and how he loved mentoring the younger children. He told me he wanted children of his own and that he couldn't wait to find his mate.

The way he described his mate to be and how he would treat her, had me feeling jealous of his mate and yet I didn't even know her.

I could tell already that we were going to be good friends.

I knew that if I never found my second chance mate that I would not force Dante into being my mate. After all he was so anxious to meet his mate that I couldn't ruin that dream for him.

"Ashley ?" Dante's voice brought me back from my wandering thoughts.
"Sorry, just thinking." My eyes once again found Damian. His face at this moment seemed so serene, it was devoid of that dark scowl he's had all morning.

I didn't even know what his issue with me was.

"About Damian?" He asked, slight annoyance detectable in his voice.

I didn't reply, since he had guessed right.

"Your mate is a real asshole." He muttered, as he turned down a busy street.

Mom and dad were a few cars ahead of us.

"He's not my mate." I clarified "And I'm staring to think that maybe it was a good thing he rejected me. Our personalities are definitely not compatible. "