Chapter 14: Heat

Ashley:

   "In heat ?" I repeated not understanding what I was hearing.

As if it was a term I had never heard before.

"Yes Ashley in heat." Lance rolled his eyes as he continued to cover his nose .

   "Why are you covering your nose ?" I asked confused "Do I smell bad ?"

"Far from it Lee, in fact you smell so delectable I would love nothing but to drag your cute little ass in the house and make you mine." His eyes were pure black as he said this "Gosh how do not remember this from Mates 101."

   Then it all came rushing back.

"A female wolf only goes in heat once she has been marked, it matters not if she has been rejected or not." Uncle Don our professor for Mates 101 said "Heat goes into full blown action within a day of being marked . For the next 3 days the female wolf will give out an intoxicating smell that will attract unmated male wolves. The female wolf will be in excruciating pain until the mating is consummated. " Then with a stern look "Beware males. Unmated wolves will be after your Mate, so once she goes into heat make sure to lock her in a room...and well do the nasty."

  "Shit!" I muttered as I looked at Lance with apologizing eyes "I'm sorry Lance. I understand if you want to go home. I know it will be difficult for you being around me."

   He gave me a crooked smile .

"Hey I'm your best friend. I'm here for you and I'm not going to ditch you while you need me the most."

  I gave him my most grateful smile, as we walked back to the cabin.

We made sandwhiches for lunch and settled in for a scary movie.

  Thankfully Lance was under full control as I cuddled into him.

I ignored the waves of heat that his body gave of, sending chills through my body.

  He was tense next to me through out the movie, and I couldn't help but feel bad.

I should have remembered about the heat, but I was so engulfed in my pain.

  "Are you sure you don't mind me this close ?" I whispered to him once again.

  His black eyes met mine as he gave me a strained smile.

  "I'm okay really Ashley, you don't have to ask every few minutes."

I could see lines around his lips and I grimaced.

  I knew this was already hard for him and here I was making it harder.

"How about you go for a little run ?" I suggested "Get some fresh air?"

He jumped up fairly quickly and eagerly.

"Sounds refreshing. I'll see you in a while."

  Then he was out the door.

I let out a sigh of relief as his woodsy smell escaped my senses.

As much as this was hard for him it was hard for me too, when all that was going through my mind was jumping his bones.

  "We don't want Lance, we want our Mate" my wolf growled.

"He rejected us! Don't think of him!" I growled back annoyed.