60- Nyssa

There is literally only two chapters left ahhhhh!!!!

"Leo!" Nyssa yelled as she pushed past branches and bushes. "Where are we going? Everyone is probably looking for us."

"Trust me," Leo said. "You're going to want to see this."

Nyssa and Leo pushed past branches and leaves from the north woods.

"Watch out for that log-"

"What-"

Nyssa yelped as she hit the ground with a thud. She groaned and sat up, dusting the dirt off her body.

Nyssa glanced up at the sky. Streaks of purple and pink danced around the setting sun. Nyssa could see faint speckles of stars from behind the glowing sky.

"Leo it's getting late. Why do you need to show me this tonight? Why not tomorrow? And why just me?"

"I'll explain everything when we get there," Leo answered.

"Yeah, about that," Nyssa began. "Where are we even going?"

"You'll see," Leo responded. "Hephaestus said he was around here somewhere-"

"Hephaestus? As in our dad?"

Nyssa had to squint to see Leo nod through the dim light.

"Okay, here we are," Leo said as he came to a halt.

Nyssa furrowed her eyebrows. "What's here?"

All Nyssa could see was a dirt field with trees surrounding it in a circle.

"This is the place Beckendorf first found festus-"

"And?"

Leo let out a loud whistle. "Come here Festus!" He yelled.

"L-Leo...what a-are you do-doing?" Nyssa asked, voice breaking. She began to back up, but Leo grabbed her wrist and pulled her next to him.

"When I found Calypso, I was using Festus as transportation. But, he began to broke down so I brought him to dad-"

"And?"

"And he told me that he wasn't going to be like he used to be, you know, all powerful."

"A-and you brought h-him here?" Nyssa stuttered, clearly terrified.

Leo nodded. "Well, my dad did."

"Do you have any idea what he's done?" Nyssa argued. "To Jake and-"

"Yeah I know but listen, dad sent him here but he kind of uh...downgraded him-"

"How so?"

"Well he can't fly or breathe fire. And dad filed down his teeth so they're not as dangerous-"

"Are you sure he's safe to be around?" Nyssa asked. "Because I don't want him hurting anymore people."

"He's not! I promise!" Leo assured. "I'll keep him in the woods."

Nyssa sighed. "Alright. Now where-"

Nyssa heard a loud thumping sound in the distance followed by a gigantic roar.

"That should be him," Leo confirmed.

Festus broke out of the trees he let out a terrifying growl.

"Whoa easy boy," Leo called as he raised his hands up.

Festus calmed down and trotted over to Leo, ground trembling with every step the dragon took.

"See he's not going to hurt anyone," Leo said as he patted Festus' stomach.

"C-can I touch him?" Nyssa asked.

Leo nodded.

Nyssa crept over to Festus. She glanced at his shimmery, gold coat. Memories of despair flooded her mind: Jake Mason, the eating of Satyrs, destruction of property, the list goes on. But Nyssa chose to ignore those times. Festus has helped Leo in more ways than one. Maybe Festus could be the best thing to happen to the Hephaestus cabin in a while.

Her cocoa brown fingers glazed over Festus' metal coat. A familiar warm feeling washing over her.

"Tomorrow we should show the camp that Festus has returned with you," Nyssa began. "But now I think the camp wants to hear your journey over dinner."