Chapter 1: Building A New Beginning

Caddie's POV:

After everything that happened to me in my life, I thought that everything was going to be okay. I believed that the surprises were done and that I could start making my own life. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Dark, dismal clouds hovered in the sky. Dead grass crunched under the weight of my combat boots. Earth worms wiggled their way to the top of the dirt, hoping to rehydrate- but they never would. There were irregular moments when a few drops of rain would escape the clouds clutches but most of the day stayed dry.

Aleksander and Alix walked beside me, our heads were kept glued to the ground as reporters snapped pictures and shouted questions. I never imagined that my life would be a constant tug of war between social parties and war meetings. One day, I would be dressed like a princess in sparkling gowns and high heels. Aleksander would twirl me around and whisper sweet nothings in my ear as the press snapped pictures. Other days would be spent practicing new spells and questioning captured Dark Ones.

I was living the dream.

My aunt had came up with the brilliant idea of making my life a social affair. She claimed I needed a better relationship with my people, but I believed she wanted keep me busy- so I wouldn't run away on impromptu adventures. I agreed, only because I was tired of my adventures too. Too many people were dying.

"Tell me again why the rebuilding of Nox Haven is a public event?" I hissed.

Aleksander chuckled and gave my hand a light squeeze. "There are many witches and warlocks who attended Nox Haven in their day and age. It is a safe haven for them."

He didn't answer my question.

"Nox Haven is a school, and school is hell. These people must be demons if they believe it is their Safe Haven." Alix was absolutely puzzled by that idea.

She felt bad for the people who died, but she was also overjoyed because she didn't have homework. Most of Nox Haven's current students were probably mourning their last day of freedom before school resumed. Our courses would be twice as hard, with the threat of the Dark Ones looming over our head. No one knew about the Vampire Gangs, but they were another reason to train harder. They had been eerily silent, there were no more reported attacks- but vampires were naturally silent hunters.

"Would you prefer being home schooled," I asked. "I'm sure your mother would love to spend some quality time with you."

Fear seized control of Alix's mind. I couldn't possibly comprehend why she disliked her mother so much. Patricia Slade was an extremely domineering and assertive woman, but that was why she was the most respected female coven leader in the world. I knew Alix hated authority, she didn't even eat doughnuts because they were the police's favorite meal. But Patricia was still her mother.

"Oh god no. I'll only last a week before she sends me off to Uncle Phillip's." She mumbled something else under breath, it sounded like a pet Rougarou and sponge bath. I didn't know what Rougarou was but it seemed to have scarred her for life.

"Alix! Caddie!"

All of our heads popped up at the sound of Jaxon, Alix's brother. He looked so different from his sister. Alix dressed like a lady of the night. Every article of clothing she owned was black, her auburn hair and emerald eyes were the only source of color on her. Jaxon, however, was a modern day Ken doll. His blonde locks were slicked back, not a single piece of hair was out of place. He had strong, masculine features and a tall sinewy body. The only trait Jaxon and Alix shared was their green eyes.

Jaxon pulled us a both into a tight embrace. Over his shoulder, many envious stares met mine. Alix's brother was Nox Haven royalty in his own way. Women adored him and men aspired to be him. Everyone was very sad when he graduated and went to Oxford.