Chapter 16: The Black Magic Scare

Aleksander's POV:

There were very few times in my life when I couldn't control my emotions. I prided myself in mastering all aspects of the heart but love was a very strange thing. Though I tried, it wasn't something I could control like my other emotions. It snuck up on me, wrapping itself of around my heart and seizing full control of my thoughts. It was a blissful emotion for a while, so I didn't bother to protest it's intrusion in my life but that all stopped when the bliss turned to pain when the comforting feelings of trust were shattered by betrayal. She saved his life. The very man who helped slaughter so many people, including my brother. She saved him.

Why?

I asked myself that question continuously as Jaxon and I walked to our dorm in silence. His own emotions mirrored mine: shock, betrayal, anger confusion. And I was sure my agonized thoughts didn't help him either. His fists were clenched and stuffed inside the pockets of his trousers. His lips had thinned into a tight line, a wrinkle appeared above his brow as he stared intently at the creaking hardwood floor. My own appearance resembled his closely.

"She must have had a reason," Jaxon whispered as we reached our dorm.

Torches lined the stone walls, golden hues of light illuminated the hall. Pictures of previous students hung on the walls, their haughty stares seemed to be directed right at us. But that was just my imagination, it must have been. There was no one else to be found in the hall. Only a few people were actually in their dorms, I could feel about five other emotional auras that didn't belong to Jaxon or myself. The others must have been out.

"What reason could there be, Slade?" I asked, "There's no reason someone should save him. That's like saving Hitler."

I jammed my key into the lock and fiddled with it furiously. After many grunts, growls and curses the door finally swung open. The room wasn't too different from the one I had in the twenty-first century. The furniture we had was a bit sturdier and always smelled freshly laundered but both rooms had two twin beds, two dressers and separate desks. The walls had the same crown molding and similar red wallpaper. Hanging above the the beds was an iron shield, the Nox Haven emblem was painted on it. Unfortunately, I had to share a bathroom with Jaxon. In the present I had requested for my own room which was given without question because I was an heir. It kinda sucked not being that important. I mean, it's definitely a headache being an heir, but the free stuff and special treatment always made up for the whole risking my life on a daily basis.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Jaxon followed me into the room and closed the door behind him. "Stop being difficult, this can't be as bad as what you're thinking," he told me.

"Give me one good reason as to why she should care about saving his life," I began to pace across the room, my shaking hands cupped my mouth.

"Well he is her ancestor," Jaxon said, "Maybe she was afraid that if she killed him, she would never to exist."

I rolled my eyes at his ignorance, "Roberto was turned before he could have kids. It says in the history books that his half-sister, Elizabeth, carried on the bloodline."

Flustered Jaxon through his hands in the air, "Well if I didn't know that, and I grew up in the magic world, what makes you think Caddie would?"

I couldn't dispute the fact that that was a very real possibility. It wouldn't be the first time Caddie's ignorance to our world had gotten her in trouble. Walking over to my dresser, I skimmed through the pile of books that I had been given for my classes. I snatched the one from the middle, not caring that the rest of the books spilled onto the floor. I had, had that particular book on me the day we came to the 1800s. At the time I had felt very silly for bringing the slim history book to the restoration of Nox Haven but my father wanted me to give a speech and I knew that the book contained a few eloquently written articles about how are people had triumphed over terror before. I had planned to quote those articles during my speech but that never came to pass. Before I could let my thoughts wander to the twenty-first century, I licked the tip of my index finger and flipped through the pages.