Chapter 28: Eyes In The Shadows

Recap:

Caddie stiffened, her hand subconsciously crept towards her neck. Turning to her, my gaze softened, as I took her hand in mine. I placed chaste kiss on her knuckles before returning her hand to her side and looking back at the statue. When I looked back, Elizabeth was still staring at us but her lips were moving a mile per second as she whispered something to Roberto. I doubted it was anything in our favor because the moment she started to talk, Roberto's eyes stare narrowed into a glare towards us.

He opened his mouth to tell her something when the Head Minister stepped forward. "Thank you all for coming today. I am sure you all had a wonderful celebration and I hope the music and food was too your likings but I know that you did not come here tonight just for the refreshments. Tonight is a momentous occasion that only occurs once a year, it is the night where all supernatural creatures can come together and honor the spirits who have blessed us with powers that are on unthought of in the mortal realm. We may be different but we all share a common Goddess and tonight as a united front we shall thank her for the faith she placed in us. Tonight, the Lunation chant shall be led by Princess Elizabeth Moyer, sister of the future Dark Warlock."

Claps and cheers arose from the crowd as Elizabeth stepped away from her brother to join the Head Minister in front of the statue. They bowed to each other briefly before the Head Minister returned to the flanks of the Council Members.

"It is an honor to join you all tonight as it is an honor to speak the ceremonial words that have been spoken since the beginning of time. And now we shall call upon the Moon Goddesses one more time for a night of freedom from these mortal bounds," Her voice was raspy and infused with fake enthusiasm.

"Appellamus dea lunae et mari." A cool breeze ruffled the trees.

"Nos liberi petere libertatem." A spark ignited in my veins. I could feel the gentle thrum of magic flow through my body, without even calling upon it

Te rogamus, ut nos exaltaret suscitare vinculis mortalitatis fines horum bentes." One by one, each person in the crowd began to illuminate from the inside out.

And then, I blacked out.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I swam in a sea of darkness. Narrowing my eyes I tried to make out the shadowy figures, but it was hopeless without light. I continued swim around aimlessly until I saw a white dot. For some reason the dot instilled a feeling of hope inside of me. Without second guessing my actions, I began to swim towards the dot. As the dot grew so did my hope. I was so close to the blindingly white hole, I could almost touch it. A soft, tender voice resonated from the hole. Happiness bloomed in my chest as I listened to the strangely familiar voice speak to me.

"Alek! Please wake up! Please! I'm sorry," the voice of an angel called to me as I floated in a world between time and space. My heart broke as I heard the pained undertones in her voice. I desperately wanted to swim to the other side and give the angel a hug. My body drifted into the white hole, until all of the darkness disappeared  and I could only focus on the blinding white light. 

Blinking rapidly, I forced my eyes to adjust as I took in my surroundings. I was laying on my back, staring at gas lamps that hung off of exposed wooden beams. Faintly I could hear the sound of sobbing in the background but my attention was otherwise captivated by the revolting smell of blood and vomit. Those were the two worst smells in all of creation and I was forced to smell them as one toxic concoction. That smell was enough for me to want to return to the black void. That was, until I heard the angel speak again.

"Alek? Oh my god you're awake. Alix! Jaxon! He's awake!"

My head whipped to the side on its own accord as I followed the voice of the angel. There, I saw my beautiful girlfriend, in her sapphire ball gown, tear stains had ruined the satin for good. But I doubted she cared about that at the moment since her emotions were a tumultuous storm, with raging anger, depression and a sickening amount of self-loathing. The only time I had ever felt that gross amount of hatred was when I reflected on my time in the Dark One's tunnel. Caddie, though she had faced many dark times, had always managed to recover. Something had changed while I was asleep, something caused her to abandon all hope for herself. The blood in my veins froze as fear monopolized my body- all I could think about was Alix's damming vision of the future.