Epilogue

A beacon of light broke through the dark haze that surrounded my mind. After what seemed like an eternity of absolute darkness, I was shocked to see something. Hell, I was shocked that I could actually be shocked. There had been no consciousness in death, if heaven or hell really did exist, I had no memory of it. The only memories of death I possessed, were those final moments before the darkness took prisoner of my mind. Feeling giddy by the change of circumstance, I tried to gain back some control over my body. Wriggling my toes, I was surprised to feel movement in my lower body. I was even more surprised to feel a soft, blanket covering my  feet.

It then dawned on me that there was a chance someone had found me and taken me to the hospital. Maybe I didn't really die, maybe I just passed out and the doctors saved me. Somehow, just as the thought entered my mind, I knew it wasn't true. I had felt the final puff of air expel from my lips, and felt myself lose control of all aspects of my body until I was nothing more than a helpless observer of the tragedy that had taken place. It was hard to believe that I had died but it was nearly impossible to believe that I had come back to life. Black magic was supposed to die with me, all powers of resurrection would have disappeared, leaving me to rest into cold arms of death.

Mustering all of the strength that I could find within myself, I slowly peeled open my eyes one by one. An even bigger shock awaited me, as the room came into focus. The room did not posses the sterile smell, uniform white walls and linoleum floors of a Hospital but instead, it was the very same room I awoke to every morning of my childhood. The walls were painted a faded blue color and the floor was covered by a large, shaggy white rug. There were other decorative items that I never had much use for, like a beautiful Victorian vanity with an oval mirror and a wide wardrobe with gold twisting knobs, similar to the one from Narnia but smaller in size. Both items were painted white but chipped in the corners to add to the aesthetic. Hanging above my head, was a crystalline chandelier that looked very old- probably a priceless heirloom from my mother's side of the family.

This certainly was not heaven but not quite hell. Though my room in Virginia was a part of my less fonder years, it had also been a place of refuge after my tumultuous days at school. I suppose waking up at home, was better than never waking up at all. But I couldn't help but be curious. What happened to me? The last thing I remembered, was being blown to pieces by Mother Nature.

Ignoring the the complaints from my aching joints, I pulled myself into a sitting position. The floral patterned comforter that had previously covered my body, fell away, revealing my practically bare body. I was in nothing more than a lacy cream bra and matching boyshorts, two undergarments that I  had not been wearing before the accident. My heart skipped a beat. Swallowing the uncomfortable lump that formed in my throat, I pushed off of the bed. My legs wobbled for brief moment, as the weight of my body threatened to be to much for my knees. But I held myself up by the twisted, iron-wrought bars of my bed and forced myself to stand.

"Caddie we have to go or we'll be late," a familiar voice called from the hallway. It was Aleksander- I could identify that Russian accent anywhere.

Hesitantly, I abandoned my post by my bed and stumbled over to the door. With shaking fingers, I reached out to open the door only close it immediately. I was afraid that all of this was just one elaborate dream and the second I opened the door it would be over. Maybe I was overreacting, but I never thought I'd hear his voice again let alone see his face. But, I knew I could not delay the inevitable. So I took a deep breath and faced him. Over the past two years I had seen Aleksander's face a thousand times but every time I saw him, I was stunned. His chiseled jawline, high-cheek bones and masculine features created an unprecedented recipe for beauty. His tousled brown hair, reminded me of the male leads on the front of adult romance novels. And his eyes- well- there were no words to describe his striking blue eyes as they stared at me with such intensity. I didn't realize that I was holding my breath until my lungs started to scream in pain.