Chapter 26: Celestial Day Part 1

Elizabeth Moyer------------------------------------->

Not too long after we began our trek through the forest, my ears perked up at the sound of oncoming voices. Whether it was a threat or not, I decided to play safe and told the boys to crouch low. Inch by inch we got closer to the voices until a mere row of shrubs separated us from the people. Peaking through the greenery, my eyes rounded when I saw a clearing much larger than the one used for the bonfire. In the back of my mind, I vaguely registered that this was the same place I went to for the Winter Ball, in my freshman year, but the dome had yet to be built. Instead of a colossal structure with intricate, and refined detailings in the middle of the clearing, there was an intimidating marble statue jutting out of the ground. The statue was of a woman, layered in robes, just like the Statue of Liberty but unlike Lady Liberty she didn't hold a torch or a book. Instead, she was holding her hands up in the air. The sky wasn't black like all the other nights in Massachusetts, without man made lights littering the sky- I could clearly see every twinkling star. And the moon- oh the moon- it shined brighter than the sun that night. The way the moon was positioned in the sky, made it look like the statue of the woman was holding it up with her bare hands. She must have been the Moon Goddess- Allaki, I realized after a second thought.

Thousands of people were scattered through the expansive clearing. Blue and white ribbons of silk and chiffon were wrapped around the trees and bushes. The women and men wore similar items of clothing as mine as the boys. They twirled around the clearing, clinging to each other tightly as the effects of alcohol took hold in their bodies. Glancing over at Aleksander and Jaxon, I saw that they were in a similar position as I was. All three of us were in awe of the beautiful celebration and a little jealous that modern philosophies robbed us of such an experience.

"I think it's time to join them," Aleksander whispered to me.

When I peered back at him, he was standing with Jaxon behind him. He held out his hand with a crooked grin on his beautiful face. I placed my gloved hand in his and dusted the dirt and grime off of my dress. Luckily for me, nothing seemed to get ruined in the crash. I didn't get many lucky moments, so I silently prayed to whatever God was out there, whether it be one for the moon or not, and followed the boys into the clearing.

Nobody noticed our sudden arrival, they were too wrapped up in their own little worlds. Tucking my hand in the crook of Aleksander's arm, I squeezed his bicep and looked around the lot of people. I didn't realize I was searching for anyone until my eyes landed on him. Roberto stood in the middle of the group of dancers but he wasn't dancing, he was just standing there looking devilishly handsome in his custom made black suit with a smug smirk on his face. Damn these boys and their smirks, I thought and quickly turned my face away from him.

"Let's dance," I told Aleksander.

He faltered in his steps and stopped to stare at me. "You want to dance?" I didn't understand the incredulous tone in his question.

"Yeah! How else am I going to get away from him?" I whispered.

Disappointment flooded through Aleksander's system when he learned my true intentions. Perhaps he had some romantic notion in his head about how that night was going to go but I didn't have time to think about that. We had one goal- save the world. We could do the whole chocolate and flowers, romantic ballroom dancing date another time- in our own time.

Sliding my hand down the length of his arm, I stopped at the palm of his hand and intertwined our fingers. Giving him a half-hearted smile, I let him lead me into the crowd of swaying bodies. Once were submerged deep enough in the mass of people, I pried my eyes away from Aleksander's chiseled jawline and sent Jaxon a meaningful look. He saw my look and nodded ever so slightly; it was time to put the plan in action.