Chapter 11: Divided Front

Recap:

"You're running from your friends."

It wasn't a question but I answered nonetheless. "I'm not running from them, I can't run from them forever but I can hide for a decent time."

I rested my shoulder against the cavern wall, hoping he'd think I was opening up to him. It seemed to work. The skepticism in Roberto's stare evaporated. A smirk tugged at the edge of lips. It was another infuriating rich boy quirk. I wondered if people born into wealthy families were naturally accustomed to those mannerisms or if they had be taught to act a certain way. There was a chance they all suffered from hive mind, as well.

"They must have said something awful. You did not look to pleased before you left." Roberto followed my actions and leaned against the wall, his head was inclined towards me.

"Why does it matter to you?" I whispered bitterly, knowing that it didn't matter to him at all.

"I can see you already have an opinion of me. Rumors, are the only thing that can travel faster than light. Though I may not have emotions, that doesn't mean I don't have a heart. I could feel your pain and anger, nobody should have to feel that way. Especially not with people who are supposed to care for you."

I agreed with him wholeheartedly even if his sentiment wasn't sincere. They were using me. Never once did they ask about what I needed. They only asked about I could give them.

"This all your fault," I hissed, "If it weren't for you I wouldn't be in this mess. I'd be free. I could have been anything I wanted to be." Roberto didn't say anything. He just watched with a sympathetic look as I began to fall apart.

"You're a bad person," I whispered. I wrapped my arms around my waist as if I were trying to hold myself up.

Neither of us knew exactly who I was referring to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aleksander's POV:

The image of Caddie's back turned to me as she disappeared, seared itself into my brain. I stood outside the Dining hall for at least five minutes, trying shake myself free of that image. Cold, abandonment left me hollowed and scared. She left. And I had no idea where I could find her. Alix stood by my side her face had nearly gone blue with the rage she was trying to hold back. To be crude, anger was like a fart, you couldn't just suppress it and plan to let it out later. It would come out on its record.

"This is all your fault!" Alix seethed.

Her teeth were gritted and bared. She looked more like a feral animal than a teenage girl in that moment. Wisps of her auburn hair had escaped her bun, they were sticking out in a random fashion. For a person who could be so beautiful when she wanted to be, she could also be the most frightening looking thing I had ever encountered. No wonder she was single. Apart from her continuous obsession with my girlfriend; she was probably the kind of girl who freaked out in the middle of a restaurant because her meal came with too much salt. Or threw a tantrum if the bathroom line was too long. One second she was a princess, the next she was a wicked witch- not exactly ideal dating material.

"You know you're a real bastard," Jaxon growled, "You act as if you're better than everyone else, as if you're beyond common pettiness but then your thoughts are equivalent to a high school gossip bitch."

"Like Regina George, with a dick," Alix huffed.

Narrowing my eyes, I shoved my curled fists in pockets and forced myself not to react. That's what they wanted. To have an all out brawl, to alleviate some of their aggression. They could preach about pride all they wanted and yet they were the ones insulting me to make up that they both felt responsible for Caddie's disappearance. It was because of their careless whispering that she left.