Chapter 29: Monsters Kill Monsters

"Let me go!" I screamed.

Only minutes ago, I had been wallowing in grief in the Nox Haven infirmary as Aleksander and Alix tried to assuage my fears and now, I was pulling on the rusted chains that bonded me to the dungeon. I tried to teleport out of the room, and burn the cuffs, and blow Roberto's head off but my powers were completely useless. Somehow, he had managed to block my magic, and I figured it had something to do with the little black haired demon he called a sister. Standing on the other side of the bars, Roberto held his hands behind his back, a devious smirk on his face. Voices of other captured Dark Ones could be heard, their hisses and pained groans reminded me of the very first time I had stumbled upon this retched place.

"Ah mi Amiga, yelling will get you nowhere. Now if you could be kind enough to divulge some information," his cruel smirk widened, "Then perhaps I could be of service."

My lips twisted into a snarl. I pulled on the restraints, hoping the the iron links would break but they held strong against my minimal muscle power. The mere thought of being completely defenseless, at his disposal, was, was enough to drive me mad- or perhaps, those were the affects of feeling the corrupted emotions of his demented minions. A crazed, panicky feeling swirled through the pit of my stomach, churning the contents of belly before traveling up my throat and into my head. With a great deal of effort, I forced myself to ignore the pounding in my mind and met Roberto's stare.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"You don't?" Roberto walked up to my cell door and rested his hands against the bars. "I was under the distinct impression that you were from the future, a child heir of mine, who had come back in time to exterminate a future problem."

His eyes wrinkled in the corners as he let out a humorless laugh. "And I believe that issue may be me and my friends."

The fight drained from my body as I stared at him, wide eyes, like a deer caught in the headlines. I had thought that we were careful, tiptoeing around the truth, hiding our true intentions but somehow the manipulative bastard found out. How he found out wasn't necessarily hard to discover. I knew there was a certain witch- Elizabeth- who wanted us both dealt with. At the time I didn't understand what her place in the grand scheme of things was or why she thought she was good enough to play God- all I knew, was that she wanted Roberto and I dead. She wanted our lineage destroyed. And it seemed, that when Elizabeth Moyer wanted something, she got it. No questions asked.

"You look surprised," Roberto noted.

He was having a field day, tearing right into my soul. With Elizabeth's wide array of magical abilities, I didn't doubt that she had made him aware of our plans way before we even discovered that she existed. And then a thought popped into mind that truly terrified me. What if she had constructed this whole thing, our miserable journey to the past, the uncomfortable transition into foreign customs and even the emotional journey to my impending doom.

"Elizabeth," I said, "She told you everything."

"You really are my descendant," Roberto said with appreciation coloring his tone. "You're smart but not smart enough, it seems. It was fun, lulling you into these moments of brief peace. Only to watch you break apart later."

"Do you normally cry and break down so often?" Roberto asked, to purposely annoy me. He must have concluded that pride would be a sore spot for me since I was related to him. "Because you have been an emotional mess."

"Isn't that what Elizabeth wants?" I bit back. "For me to break down, leave my guard down and die. For all black magic to cease to exist?"

Roberto stiffened, obviously not aware of Elizabeth's ulterior motives. As expected he didn't believe me. Whatever lies the bitch had been force-feeding him, must have been way more appealing than the awful truth I was offering him. Though he couldn't feel betrayal, he didn't understand the concept, and it would still leave him affected.